Topic: Wifi range and hacking...MMCX port from the internal Wifi dongle?

Bit hesitant to open up my Chumby but has anyone tried hacking the USB Wifi dongle in the chumby for an external antenna port?

I tend not to get the range of other Wifi devices using the chumby... and am curious as to if anyones modded the backplane to mount an mmcx or other external antenna device...

I just need another 4-6 feet!!!!

Tried changing the channel, tried moving it around, tried dropping the default speed to around 22M, (it is 802.11g network with WPA)...

Laptop in the same area as where i want my chumby (next to the bed)... can see and grab the connection fine...

*Tries to design a tin foil hat for his chumby* (giggle)

-Jolt

Re: Wifi range and hacking...MMCX port from the internal Wifi dongle?

You can, in theory, plug an external wifi dongle into the chumby and have it work, as long as it is an RT2571-based chipset dongle.

The problem is that the RT73 kernel module panics when it sees two RT2571's plugged in.

One way around this is to disable the internal USB port by configuring the pins on the MX21 to be GPIOs instead of as USB signals. That way the chumby will only see the external dongle that you've put in.

You have to do this right away at startup--unfortunately, you can't do this with a loadable kernel module, because the USB enumerates before any modules are loaded; you have to do this by hacking the kernel itself and reflashing it. I spent a couple hours banging my head on this one before I figured it out. Even if the driver for the RT73.ko isn't loaded in, USB is enumerated and the descriptor for the device is hanging out in the USB driver. What happens when you turn off the USB port and then try to load the module is that instead of associating the driver with the wireless card plugged into the back, the kernel tries really hard to mount a now phantom device on the internal port and eventually dies a flaming death.

However, really the right thing to do would be to figure out why the RT73 module panics when you have two NICs plugged in--this shouldn't be a problem for the driver, I think, if it is well written.

7BAA 2E53 01C1 DCFF 497B  E7F0 9699 A303 78F0 D9B9

3 (edited by joltdude 2008-04-24 05:57:56)

Re: Wifi range and hacking...MMCX port from the internal Wifi dongle?

Just being able to pop on a replacement USB wifi dongle on the outside could be useful.. Wondering if you could hack the Special Options screen to just disable the internal wireless on boot.. Sort of see this as a stepping stone to a possible N based dongle or even part of a solution to using a wired dongle.. or bluetooth... Some days i really dislike dealing with Wifi... its not quite as predictable as one thinks...

(not thinking this morning.. didn't sink-in that the two instances of the USB dongle would cause a kernel panic... me bad... But thats not exactly a good thing either)