Topic: Software version and ethernet questions

Heya!

I received my chumby yesterday, and it's doing really fine :-)
However, i've got two little questions.
- cat /etc/firmware_build gives me 565, which corresponds to what the sources page is saying, but busybox gives v1.6.1 whereas the sources gives v1.5.0. is the sources page outdated maybe?
- the lack of a working wired ethernet is really a show stopper for me. are there any hints on when a linksys or trendnet dongle will be working again, or is it all open at the moment?

greetz joe

Re: Software version and ethernet questions

I'll check the sources to make sure the correct version is posted - however, if you need the source beforehand, you can get it from the upstream.  We did not make any modifications.

The fix for the broken wired ethernet is complete and is scheduled for the 1.6 SW update, which is currently in QA.

Hi Duane!

Thanks for the quick reply. No, i don't really need the source, i just wondered because i had a peek at the innards yesterday :-)
The 1.6 Update is good news indeed... can't wait to get it then :-)

Greetz Joe

I was going to ask about what the status of the Ethernet issue was.. Nice to know its back... though there is a bit of a wait wink

Duane wrote:

I'll check the sources to make sure the correct version is posted - however, if you need the source beforehand, you can get it from the upstream.  We did not make any modifications.

The fix for the broken wired ethernet is complete and is scheduled for the 1.6 SW update, which is currently in QA.

Any estimate on when this software will be released?  I see it's currently available in Beta, but I was wondering if there's an estimate on the production release.  I would love to get the wired Ethernet working so that I can use it at work...

On the first issue of the busybox sources, the versions posted were correct but named with *our* version number, not the upstream version.  We have corrected that.

The 1.6 firmware update is in QA - at this point I expect it out in early June.

Is there a work around? To manually get Ethernet working?

Not with the current firmware release (1.5).

It's not a matter of clever scripting to work around it - it's a low-level bug in the USB driver that interferes with the USB network adaptor.

nick.couchman@yahoo.com wrote:
Duane wrote:

-

Any estimate on when this software will be released?  I see it's currently available in Beta

Is the proposed software available in Beta? I thought the current Beta software is the same as the released software. Am I wrong?

No its a *FIRMWARE* beta which has to go through Quality Assurance, not a consumer beta...
the beta you see is the Beta Control Panel, which *anyone* can access...

Yes, we don't currently publicly Beta firmware, mainly because, unlike the Control Panel, a busted firmware image can brick the device.  Control Panel betas are easily reversible.