1 (edited by quizengine 2008-04-13 05:44:40)

Topic: Environmental variable not working on Virtual Chumby

I'm working on a widget that will use the high score functions that Chumby Industries have put in place.
(see http://wiki.chumby.com/mediawiki/index. … re_keeper)

The widget must use the environmental variable (one *given* to the widget by the chumby network) '_chumby_widget_instance_id' to communicate with the scorekeeper. Fair enough...

But, when developing my widget I notice that the Virtual Chumby (that I develop with, mostly so I don't have to leave my PC to test / debug) does not seem to support the variable. I say this because I have run the exact same test widget on Virtual Chumby and my real one. Real one show the variable value on screen, virtual one does not.

Is this a limitation of the virtual chumby ? Or has someone misspelled this variable name in the virtual chumby code (lots of underscores - easy to miss one) ? And are you aware of other environmental variables that do not work on Virtual Chumby ?

This isn't going to prevent any development for me, it just makes it less convenient in my writing / testing of widgets. BUT, if my logic has followed this properly, this also means that any game using scorekeeper *will not work* on Virtual Chumby (well, the high score part, at least). Did I reason that right ?

edit: <additional after more research>
I find that the Chumball game, which implements a high score table (and presumably using the 'scorekeeper' model), does *not* show scores when played on a virtual chumby. Proof of my suggestion above ?

Also, is there anyone who has more info (examples ?) on the actionscript calls to the scorekeeper, and the parsing of the returned data ? My experiments aren't getting me anywhere at the moment.

Re: Environmental variable not working on Virtual Chumby

It's possible that Virtual Chumby needs to be updated - we'll look into it.

We certainly don't provide as much information to the Virtual Chumby, since it can appear on anyone's web page, and people can cut-and-paste it - this makes it much more difficult, but more important, to secure than the physical device.

3 (edited by quizengine 2008-04-13 07:42:43)

Re: Environmental variable not working on Virtual Chumby

As I said, it's not a disaster for me - just means I have to do that sort of testing on the device itself.

Any info on my other point - code snippets showing how to call / parse the scorekeeper ? I've used the wiki page, but I can't make my experiments work with what I've found there.

Any chance that the author of Chumball would share code snippets showing how they handle the scorekeeper ? (Chumball *seems* to be the only game on the network that saves scores between sessions at the moment)