Topic: Wakeup to NY Times Headlines read to you

Is there currently anyway to set an alarm which plays an .mp3 file from the web?  Specifically, I would like to set a wakeup which plays <http://podcasts.nytimes.com/podcasts/20 … page-p.mp3>, a summary of each day's NY Times front page.

2 (edited by wayn3w 2008-04-09 09:35:51)

Re: Wakeup to NY Times Headlines read to you

Yes!  In your control panel, under music, select "My Streams" and set yourself a stream with the url you included.  Then when you select an alarm sound, choose from "My Streams" and your new stream.

wayn3w

...or you can use the 2.6.83 Control Panel beta, which has support for the New York Times podcasts, including using them for alarms.

Any chance their videocasts will be available on the Chumby?  I'm particularly interested in Mark Bittman's "The Minimalist."

wayn3w

Hmm...I tried setting a My Streams source to that URL but it didn't work.  Could it be that the URL is a pointer to the .mp3 for the podcast but is not a stream and that won't work with My Streams? If so, I need to figure out what the stream URL is.

...or you can use the 2.6.83 Control Panel beta, which has support for the New York Times podcasts, including using them for alarms.

smile

I understand.  It's just that as a new owner, I figured I would limit the variables so that if I had a problem it might be easier to diagnose (and could not be attributed to beta code). I am sure that I will switch to the beta release before long.  In the meantime, I think I can also get to the NY Times feeds by registering with MediaFly and creating a channel that includes the Times (and associating the channel with the Chumby).  However, am I correct that the problem with the URL is that it simply points to an mp3 file (not a streaming server) and there is no direct way to play that on tbe Chumby (other than perhaps putting it on a USB stick)?

Well, I entered the URL as shown in the first post in a My Streams entry, and it worked fine.

Fascinating.  Unless it works for you BECAUSE you are running the beta code :-).  I wonder why it won't work for me.

All that I can think of is that I mistyped the URL.  The My Streams interface doesn't seem to give any feedback about not finding a stream, it justs does nothing so maybe that was the problem. I shall try again later.

11 (edited by wayn3w 2008-04-10 15:04:37)

A couple things:  your URL only gives the podcast for Wednesday, April 8, not every day.  You'd want to subscribe to the feed (I guess you're forced to use iTunes) and then get the properties of the podcast from iTunes and type it into your Chumby, or talk to the nyt folks to get the pls from them to type in...

...or you can use the 2.6.83 Control Panel beta, which has support for the New York Times podcasts, including using them for alarms.  I concur with Duane!

The other thing:  Under My Streams I created a new stream of type MP3 and entered your URL and it worked for me.  I can only guess you had a typo -- the url you gave would be easy to mistype.

wayn3w

Sorry for the false alarm (pun intended).  It was a typo.  It works fine though, you are right, I would have to create a different stream for each day as the URL changes.  Another way to deal with this (besides the new CP) is to use MediaFly to provide the streams (including the NY Times).