Topic: New owner with chumby that has a love/hate relationship with router...

So I have a new Chumby.. that when powered up cold..  will seem to connect to my apple airport extreme ok using WPA2 & a manual IP address..

After 10-15 minutes or so.. boom, the connection seems to drop, nothing updates on the screen, and if I go back to the control panel & try reconnecting, it doesn't see any wireless in the area..  (It not only doesn't see my router, it doesn't see ANYTHING in the area).

This seems consistent..  give it 15-30 minutes.. boom, dead.  Even power-cycling it at this point often won't work....

Is this just a bad unit, or is the software problematic?  Any suggestions?

Re: New owner with chumby that has a love/hate relationship with router...

Sounds like it might be a heat problem.  I would suggest that you call support or post a copy of this to the Service, Warranty, Repair section.  There are a few notes in there about losing WiFi.  One of the things mentioned is how warm the touch screen is getting.

Nick

How old is your Airport Extreme?

I bought one in August.  It never worked with Back to my Mac.  It streamed like crap to the Chumby.  And then one fine day, I updated the firmware on it and it bricked.

The Airport Extremes are buggy as hell.  If you've got Applecare on Mac, it's worth it to try and get Apple to get you one of the new ones.  I got a refurb in the mail two weeks ago and things have been smooth sailing since.

Slave to the Light, Inc.
Los Angeles & Seattle USA
www.slavetothelight.com

slave2thelight wrote:

How old is your Airport Extreme?

I bought one in August.  It never worked with Back to my Mac.  It streamed like crap to the Chumby.  And then one fine day, I updated the firmware on it and it bricked.

The Airport Extremes are buggy as hell.  If you've got Applecare on Mac, it's worth it to try and get Apple to get you one of the new ones.  I got a refurb in the mail two weeks ago and things have been smooth sailing since.

Hmm.  Don't know.  'bought it a couple months ago.  I've tried 7.2.1 & 7.3.1 firmware..  that Chumby didn't really like either..  but its rock-solid for everything else I have.   (A macbook pro, running mac or XP), a Sony PS3 & an XBox 360, all running wireless /w WPA2 authentication.)

The chumby works fine for 10-15 minutes then dies.  At that point all the other clients are still fine.  Despite oddities in the airport extreme.. I don't think this time that's the cause..

Yes, this is one of the "little secrets" of Applecare - if you have Applecare on any computer, it also covers your Airports, no matter how old they are.

I had a somewhat ancient original Airport base station that died after six years or so (the infamous "bad capacitor" problem) - they swapped it out for free because I had Applecare on a new (at the time) TiBook.