Topic: Is there a problem loading GIFs?

I'm working on a widget that loads weather maps from around the internet. I adapted the code from ChumbySpy, since that already cycles through a bunch of camera images.

I'm having a weird problem: every time it loads a GIF image, the RAM usages inches up about .1 meg, and doesn't drop back down. The strange thing is this doesn't happen when I load JPGs.

If I watch it with top I can see the RAM use inching up, until eventually things crash.

Can anyone think of a reason for this?

Source code is here if anyone's curious: http://gizmoware.net/chumby/WeatherVane.zip There's a couple of jpgs at the top of the cameras list, if I swap the cameras out for those everything works just fine. If I introduce even one gif, the RAM increases every time it hits that gif.

Re: Is there a problem loading GIFs?

try unloadClip

oldone = _root["cam" + counter-1];
loader.unloadClip(oldone);

This specific code may not work but illustrates my point

There may be a memory leak with GIFs in the current release.  I'm pretty sure we've fixed it, but it's scheduled for a future firmware update.

Dynamic loading of GIF is not a standard feature of Flash Lite (indeed, it was not supported in desktop Flash until Flash 8) - it's something we added.

Thanks Duane, keep me (or this thread) posted if possible.

About unloading clips, agreed and I'm already doing that. The problem doesn't occur with jpegs, just gifs. Indeed its as if they're not unloading.