Topic: Web Services support in Chumby Flash?

All,

Does anyone know if consuming web services in a Flash movie is supported on Chumby's Flash interpreter?  I understand that the Chumby Flash port is somewhere between FlashLite and Flash 8, but I'm not quite sure what the specific limitations/differences are.

Thanks,

Dave.

Re: Web Services support in Chumby Flash?

The chumby is running Flash Lite 3.

What do you mean by "consuming web services"?

The chumby supports LoadVars, XML, and XMLSocket just like normal desktop Flash.  The security sandbox is similar to a desktop Flash movie embedded in a web page.

Duane,

Sorry, to be more clear, there is a WebServiceConnector class, which permits communicating with a SOAP-based web service by referencing the WSDL (Web Service Definition Language) of the desired web service.  This class is accessible by writing ActionScript (AS).

There is also a WebServiceConnector component, which provides communicating with a SOAP-based web service, also by referencing the WSDL of the desired web service, but without having to write any AS code (basically, you just configure the component).

I see that both of these are available in Adobe Flash CS3, when I select AS 2.0 Flash file creation.

Do you know if these methods should work within the Chumby Flash runtime?

Thanks,

Dave.

Yes, they should work, since these components ultimately use the intrinsic XML class to actually fetch the data.

One should use them with care, however, since these classes are fairly heavy and can sometimes result in large and slow widgets.  It's often more efficient at runtime to take a more ad-hoc approach - use the XML class and pull the data out yourself for simple services.  It's up to you to consider the tradeoffs.