Topic: Access to source (.fla) for 'chumby' shipped widgets???

I've seen various references to this throughout this forum - several quite old - but never a specific answer.  So here it goes:

In the spirit of open source, is there any place where I can find the source to all widgets written/provided by Chumby Industries?

I understand that the control panel widget is not being released as source, but what about everything else?

In particular, I'm interested right now in the POP3 e-mail widget, but there are actually quite a lot that have the author listed as 'chumby' that I'd be interested in seeing.  I am a Java/PHP/PERL/etc. programmer, but am new to Flash, and would love to see how some things are done, and to leverage those learnings in my own widgets.  I've just plunked down a ton of money for Adobe Flash CS3, and would like to make use of it!

Thanks,

Dave.

2 (edited by gingerbeardman 2008-03-17 15:46:32)

Re: Access to source (.fla) for 'chumby' shipped widgets???

You want the wiki

http://wiki.chumby.com/mediawiki/index. … for_chumby

Welcome!
matt

gingerbeardman wrote:

You want the wiki

http://wiki.chumby.com/mediawiki/index. … for_chumby

Welcome!
matt

Yes, thanks, I've seen that.  The Wiki gives me 7 sample widgets, but what about the rest?  Are they available somewhere as well?

Hello...

My first post after 1 week of having the Chumby home!

It would be great to get the default clock source for example... that way anyone (with minimal Flash skill and the software) could easily customized it while keeping the built in features. I like the default clock function but not the color or the font used... if I had the source I could customize the look in couple clicks!

By the way are most widgets shared by other users open source? Are the Chumby default ones?

Thanks, Jean

> By the way are most widgets shared by other users open source? Are the Chumby default ones?

Unfortunately no, I've seen no source code published at all. That doesn't mean its not happening, just that I can't find it if it is. I post all my sourcecode at gizmoware.net/chumby.

As I've been saying in a bunch of posts recently, I think this could be solved if chumby.com adds a field to upload the source FLA with the widgets, and when browsing widgets you coudl download FLAs of any widgets that have sourcecode. Or they could add a new forum area for people to post completed projects. Would make development soooo much easier, not to mention more prolific.

On the subject of the widgets from Chumby industries, I'd love to see the source for Chumball.... Anyone know if its posted?