1 (edited by gingerbeardman 2008-03-21 19:23:32)

Topic: Xbox Live Friends List widget

I've uploaded an early version of my widget for keeping track of your Xbox Live Friends List. It's far from finished, but it works and it's super cool, so I thought I'd share it now. Thanks to 1337pwn.com for the data feed.

http://www.chumby.com/guide/widget/Xbox … iends+List

Give it a comma separated list of gamertags, and it shows you information on those friends.

You can choose two different display modes: what I call "list" and "icon", one shows more gamertags per screen and slightly less information, the other shows more information and less gamertags per screen.

"Away" friends are faded out slightly (eg. MedwayPVB in the screen below).
"Offline" friends are faded out even more (eg. gingerbeardman, gabe etc in the screens below).

In future, I want to add finger scrolling of the screen, and more.

display modes: list vs icon
http://i32.tinypic.com/25k1wd4.png http://i30.tinypic.com/205s9dl.png

2 (edited by HammyHavoc 2008-03-18 20:38:50)

Re: Xbox Live Friends List widget

That's looking absolutely great!
Huge improvement, keep it up!

I'll be keeping an eye on this topic for the public release [:

Music Tames The Savage Beast

As does PHP and Perl.

It is already released.

Check it on the widget front page

This widget will soon be updated to version 0.6.

Caching issues have been resolved.
Gamertags are now sorted properly alphabetically and by online/away/offline status.
Design has been tweaked.

Should be available soon.

It's available now.

Thanks.

I still have improvments in mind so feel free to let me know what you think of the widgt and how it might be improved.

The feed for this widget is temporarily offline due to a DNS change. Should be back within a day or so.

The feed is back up

Hi gingerbeardman!  First off, thanks so much for making some of the best widgets for the Chumby :-D

Secondly - I added a comment to your xbox live widget, but then realised here is probably a better place to comment.  What I'd like to do is either help improve this widget, or perhaps create a related widget.  I made a comment about update of the live status, as I'm not sure how accurate, or up-to-date it's information is.  I also thought it might be nice to be able to select someone in the list, to get more information about them...

If there is a way I could help, or something you think might be useful, let me know :-)

Hi there - glad you like my widgets!

There is definitely room for improvement on this widget. The chumby caches all data for 5 minutes, so I have to try to get around that. I thought I had done so, but maybe not? You can touch the screen to force a refresh. Let me know if that helps?

I do want to make the list scrollable, but I do not have much time to work on it.

Also, the feed doesn't have much more info per person but I guess I could ask what else is available?

matt

Yeah, I'm not sure what the issue is with the freshness of information.  I'll try some running some tests tonight to suss out what I can.  I was wondering if the data was being pulled from the xbox server via a cron that's being updated every x mins/hours.  I was thinking that I'd like to figure out what information can be accessed anyway - I assume it is quite limited, and likely to change to some extent with this Autumn's update but something I'd like to work on for a separate project.  Something to link to achievements would be a good one to get...

I don't mind if you'd like to keep the project your own, but I'd be willing to help where I can; I'm an experienced, albeit lapsed, actionscript programmer.

I call the data feed, per gamertag. It should grab new information at that point. However, I do not control the feed. It is an official feed from Microsoft but it is managed by somebody else.

I'm happy to improve the widget, I just don't want it becoming a full on replacement for Xbox.com

> I just don't want it becoming a full on replacement for Xbox.com

lol I don't think that's likely to happen, but probably quite profitable if MS decided they wanted to buy it off you!

I think what I'll do is start working on a separate xbox widget for now, and see how far I get.  I'll post back any findings/progress here.

Sure thing, keep in touch

Well, regarding tapping the screen: I've tested it a little.  It updates fine when I tap the screen, but I think I see the problem of the caching emerging as sometimes it looks like it reverts, and when it reloads after a while not being shown, it doesn't seem to always update with the latest info.  Also, tapping on the screen sometimes causes it to redraw duplicate profiles.

If I can make one other suggestion, then that would be to make the off-line profiles to be white text on a black background - so they are distinguished from those online, but still easily readable.

OK,

I'll try to find some time to look at this soon