Topic: Problems with Alarm, beta and non-beta

I had a problem with one of my alarms the other day (Tuesday morning). The alarm went off but there was no music (The radio station is a SHOUTcast one, sky fm absolutely smooth jazz). My alarm that happens 20 minutes later worked fine (different music stream)

I had the beta control panel installed and since it was my girl friends alarm and she was pissed it didn't go off, I switched back to Non beta.

Wednesday, alarm went off and the music stream worked fine.

Thursday, (still on Non beta control panel) Alarm went off but NO music again!!!
Lucky my Girl friend woke up only 10 minutes late.

If this keeps up chumby or I am going to get kicked out of the bed room. Help!!

Re: Problems with Alarm, beta and non-beta

In general, if you're looking for alarm reliability, using a network music stream isn't the best choice.  There's no guarantee that any given stream is available or be functional.  SHOUTcast stations also tend to come and go, and they will even renumber them occasionally such that the ID you've set for the alarm may not correspond to any station when the alarm fires.

We're trying to make the system fall back to the built in "Beep" sound if a station isn't available, but that turns out to be a fiendishly difficult thing to detect in advance, or even after the fact.  We've seen cases where the station is simply streaming silence, which isn't very useful as an alarm, and that's pretty much the hardest for us to detect.

Ya that sounds hard you would have to run some analyzer on the stream.

Could you test the stream 1 minute before the alarm goes off to see if it can connect to the stream?

Im not sure why it failed to play. After it failed, on the chumby I went to music and found the shout cast stream I had it set to and it played fine.  and I doubt it was silence for 10 minutes.

Each SHOUTcast station has a uniques station number, which is what is stored with the alarm when you select it - this is pretty much the only way to specify a station in order to play it.

However, SHOUTcast will occasionally shuffle those numbers, so that a station number from last week may not work this week - they do this so that people won't build a directory of SHOUTcast stations and compete with them.  Unfortunately, this also means that a station you set as an alarm may not work, or be an entirely different station.

I don't know if that's what happened in your case, but it's possible.

Another thing that occasionally happens with SHOUTcast stations is that they'll simply reject a connection if they're too busy, and *some* of the stream links they provide in the PLS work, and others don't.  Some stations may reject repeated connections from the same IP, some stations will kick off the oldest users when they reach some load limit.

All in all, streaming music on the Internet is an inherently flaky thing.

Yes i guess is it flakey, because today my girl friends alarm went off with sound fine today, but mine did not.
I don't know what the heck is going on, but ever since i've updated to beta and even going back to non beta has not fixed this issue. there definitely seems like there is more going on than what you are saying. Can you guys get into my chumby to see any thing? this is really frustrating us. This NEVER happened on the last betas and final release. Its only since this new beta that this is happing and going back to the release firmware has not fixed what ever is going on.

Here's something to try - set both of these alarms to the built-in alarm tones (Beep, Klaxon, Bugle), and see if they go off properly next time.

That would eliminate an inherent issue with the alarm subsystem in general, and point to the streaming subsystem.

Yeah I can try that. What sucks is we don't like any of the default sounds. Thats why we went to streams. I mean, why even have the option to put a stream as an alarm if its not reliable with no reliable fall back if the stream is not working.

i understand you guys are working on this but at the same time you are advertising this on your front page, I dont see an * next to any of the text saying, theres a chance your alarm will no work. Ugh i guess im just frustrated that for the passed week my alarms have not worked correctly and this on one of the reasons I have my chumby.

"Finally, a truly personalized way of waking up. With the customizable alarm clock features, you can wake up to a simple tone or to your favorite Internet radio station. But don't just stop at sound — give your eyes a wake-up treat by selecting any channel to start playing when the alarm goes off. Jump-start the day with your favorite news, humor, photos, horoscope, sports scores — whatever gets you going!

You can set a different alarm for every day of the week, with each alarm playing something unique. And why limit yourself to wake-up calls? Use the chumby as an alarm reminder any time during the day since you can set an unlimited number of alarms that repeat or play one time only."

I sympathize with your frustrations, since we're fighting this battle internally as well.  A large fraction of the core software engineering team is completely dedicated to alarm reliability at the moment, and the solution is not something that can be done entirely from the Control Panel, so it's going to take a firmware update to completely address.

The Control Panel 2.6.75 takes it about as far as it can go with just changes at that level - it handles many of the possible failure modes, but can't handle the case where a stream fails to connect or low-level issues with the sound subsystem, since none of that is visible to Flash.

OK I understand. Thanks for the feed back.

I just want to you guys to know that when we were first using the chumby as an alarm my gf was like ok, we can use the chumby but if it doesn't work then it goes. So for the first few days she thought it was ok, except she could not stand any of the default alarms, then I found out about the streams and she was like cool, chumby can stay. So it passed the girl friend test.(which is very hard to do with eletronics) Ill figure out something to pass the time to next update. Hope you guys can get the alarms rock solid. Really want chumby to be here for a long time.

I haven't played with the custom alarms yet.  But seeing the problems people may have with the internet feeds, I am wondering if I can set up an alarm (or set of alarms) to play a default sound for a very brief time, and then bring up a shoutcast feed. 

I don't have my Chumby with right now, so I can't check it out.  I have to guess that the alarm can't be set to the second.  However, I would be happy if I'm wrong (and thankful for foresight!)

For people who would want volume to increase, are you looking for a default sound or a feed?  I would think of making a sound file on my computer that slowly ramps up in volume.  Pop that on a stick and name it alarm1.  (Or whatever the file name is supposed to be).  Of course, I too don't want a stick out of the back of my Chumby.  Does anyone make "L" adapters so I can have the stick along the back side of the chumby?

Radio Shack sells a bendable right-angle USB adapter. It will put a USB drive at right angles to the port. Only a few dollars. I use one with my laptop all the time, since I previously broke two USB drives by banging them and bending them.