Topic: Displaying a web site's Flash Animation in a Widget

I'd love to find out how to get a flash animation off of a local TV station's Local Weather web page and put into a Widget that I can view on a Chumby.

I can view the page source, but am kind of stumped as to how to get the flash animation pointed to on it into a Chumby Widget.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Many Thanks for any help.  smile

Sky Williamson
Duke University
Durham, NC

Re: Displaying a web site's Flash Animation in a Widget

That's tricky question - it depends upon the version of Flash, what network services, what permissions, and some other details, that it requires.  For instance a Flash 9 movie using relative paths to a server not allowing crossdomain fetches would *not* work on a chumby.

Assuming all that is OK, however, you can often view the source of the webpage and search for "SWF" or "swf" - that will lead you to where the Flash movie can be found, although that can still sometimes be tricky.  If the movie will work standalone in a web page, it will sometimes work on the chumby.

So now what? Well, these movies are the copyrighted property of the stations, so you can't just upload them to our servers without getting their permission.  However, if you use this trick, you could have your chumby pull the movies from their server, once you know the URL.