Topic: Forcing a widget to run

Is there a way for an external event/process to request that the control panel immediately switch to a specific widget? I can think of a lot of home automation uses for the Chumby that would depend on such a feature--for example, a home automation controller could cause the front door webcam widget to pop up when the doorbell is pressed. This might be triggered by the controller calling a custom CGI script on the Chumby's built-in web server.

Is this possible with the current control panel?

2 (edited by gingerbeardman 2008-03-08 04:25:11)

Re: Forcing a widget to run

This can be done with the current control panel [i]beta[/]i and it's "alarm easter egg"

http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?id=1312

* Control Panel now monitors the existence of /tmp/change_profile - if present, will attempt to change channels to the channel name in the file.  The file is then deleted.  This allows external scripts to initiate a channel change.

Assuming your home automation system can connect to the Chumby over SSH and write the file!

matt

Re: Forcing a widget to run

Huh...thanks! I'll have to test this out next time I get my hands on a Chumby. If it's reasonably responsive there might be some new widgets coming out of this project I'm working on. smile