Topic: Can widgets access system volume?

I'm wondering if widgets can control system volume? I've been listening to a lot of shoutcasts on mine, and keep having to exit from my widget to go to the music menu. It's no big deal, but involves a bunch of clicks just to change the volume. And the existing volume slider takes some getting used to (doesn't change volume until you release the slider and doesn't react to tapping left or right of the slider ball).

I was thinking I'd like to make shaking the Chumby from my ChumbySpy widget control system volume.... I'm sure lots of other widgets would make good use of controlling system volume too?

While I'm in the neighborhood, controlling brightness, etc?

2 (edited by gingerbeardman 2008-03-07 05:44:43)

Re: Can widgets access system volume?

Brightness, I read on another thread, is all or nothing.

Volume: http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?pid=10493#p10493

Widgets cannot control system-wide settings such as volume and brightness.

It's true that widgets cannot change the overall volume or backlight level directly. However, there is an indirect method that unfortunately currently requires a lot of set up and has less than desirable security characteristics.

hint: Set up an HTTP server either on the device or some other host. Give the server a crossdomain.txt that permits access from www.chumby.com, and create a CGI script that changes the desired setting on the Chumby when it receives a request. Add code to the widget to use the LoadVars class to make such a request.

At one time I believe it was possible to use the Chumby built-in web server to do this sort of thing, by creating a crossdomain.txt on the device. That no longer works because /www is no longer writable.

Maybe a future firmware revision could create a link from /www/crossdomain.txt to /psp/crossdomain.txt - Duane?