Topic: View Plain Text Output of URL?

How would one go about viewing the plain text output of any URL in the widget queue? The particular application I had in mind was for watching a live stream of server logs, but this would have many applications.

The functionality I had in mind is about identical to the View Image @ URL widget, just with text.

Workarounds that came to my mind were generating an actual image of the log text (via PHP) and using the aforementioned URL image viewer, or I suppose I could whip together my own SWF file and use the SWF Wrapper widget with it. But this seems like a bit of a round about way of solving a simple problem.

Any thoughts?

Re: View Plain Text Output of URL?

If the text is fetchable over HTTP, you'd use an XML object, and use the onData handler (which receives the raw, unparsed text) rather than the onLoad handler, which receives the already-parsed XML.  When the text arrives, you'd load it into a dynamic TextField.

3 (edited by scottfinman 2008-03-06 09:03:11)

Re: View Plain Text Output of URL?

I presume you're referring to whipping together my own .swf file then. No such luck for anything a bit more plug and play with text? Looks like I ought to dust off my Flash skills.