Topic: using Airfoil to stream from a computer

I currently use Rogue Amoeba's Airfoil software to stream any audio (besides itunes) from my pc to apple airport expresses around my apartment. They recently released software that lets you stream audio to any pc (I think called Airfoil Speakers). It would be great to have this support built into chumby so that it could also receive these Airfoil streams. Chumbys in an office could be interconnected to all receive the same music stream from someone's computer this way.

Re: using Airfoil to stream from a computer

I've asked for this;  somewhere in the forums is the discussion Duane and I had about why they can't crack into the m4a that iTunes uses.  However, I've spent several days over email chatting with Rogue Amoeba about getting Nicecast to work; long story short, it does and it does just dandy.

Just use Nicecast instead.  Done deal.

Slave to the Light, Inc.
Los Angeles & Seattle USA
www.slavetothelight.com

If I understand Rogue Amoeba's site correctly, NiceCast only runs on Macs. Airfoil will run on PCs as well.

Yes, I'm on a PC. Plus Airfoil is simple to run AND works on mac and pc. If you are already using airtunes around your home then the Chumby could join in on this, too, and be in sync with all your other speakers.

davidconrad10 wrote:

If I understand Rogue Amoeba's site correctly, NiceCast only runs on Macs. Airfoil will run on PCs as well.

Nicecast is a Mac only product...
Slimserver is an AWFUL twitchy and bad substitute...

Airfoil could be cute but its not a complete solution..

There is a Airfoil Speakers for Linux. How do you run programs on chumbys? Couldn't you just download and run?