Topic: What happens if there is no WiFi???

Is there any other way to feed info from the web into Chumby without the need of a WiFi conection?

Re: What happens if there is no WiFi???

The current chumby is designed to be a wifi device.

If you don't have wifi, it becomes a simple clock.

From the specs you have released so far I know that the chumby doesn't has an ethernet (RJ45) port on the back. I've been working on house wiring comunications and it would be cool to have an addon that can connect from the PC to the house wiring and then from the house wiring into chumby.
And the hardware is very simple as well, only problem I can think of right now would be communications speed...

since chumby will have 2 usb ports i think it'll be easy to add a rj45 connector to it, but ofcourse this will decrease the cool factor wink

Since the chumby was intended to be somewhat of a clock radio, we felt it was unreasonable to ask folks to route CAT-5 to their bedroom.

That's also why it runs on a wall wart - you're not going to be moving it much.

It's quite possible we've totally misjudged the market, in which case we'll make the necessary changes.

I thought about the house wiring comunication with that same idea on my mind. It would be cool to just plug your chumby and let it stream all the info from the computer without setting any WiFi or additional cables.

Someone in the software threads asked about making his own private software and distributing it. Could you please also give me some info like say if I wanted to build this modules I'm talking about and selling them for the chumby.

shouldnt see why you couldnt compile a usb ethernet driver and plug one in. but like the Chumby guy said (sorry forgot your name tongue), its not really practical.

although, you could possibly intergrate a homeplug system into the plug. but personally, id rather have wi-fi. you can pick access points up for peanuts

need upload space for the forums or a chumby blog? right here then
http://www.nophus.com/useru
username is chumby
password is chumby

That's what I'm talking about. Adding homeplug system to a plug. So chumby gets juice + info from the power lines. Aaaand this would allow non-WiFi users (Yes, there still are some...) to be able to use chumby away from a PC.
It's not something that should be included in the final design, but more of an "extra $20 option" for those unlucky bastartds tongue

you can get usb homeplugs. so if there is a linux driver, shouldnt see why you couldnt just plug on in.

i dont think you can run homeplug and power through the same plug. actually, thinking about it, that sort of contradicts the whole homeplug concept.

problem is, the homeplug would either be on the wall, so you would have some chobber wall wart, cos you got a switching mode power supply and a homeplug system. or it goes inside, but then you got a heat issue. my homeplugs get very warm, usually about 40 degrees C. and they are well ventilated.

its a nice idea, but wi-fi is the better option. if you dont have wi-fi yourself, see if you can use a neighbours. you aren't gonna use too much bandwidth, so i shouldnt see why they wouldnt let you.

username is chumby
password is chumby

Actually, you can power the device and use the homeplug system at the same time, and it doesn't contradicts the homeplug concept. It reinforces it. The whole point of the homeplug system is that you can send data through the house wiring while still using the house wiring for what it is intended: powering stuff. There would be no problem using both on Chuby

yeah, i realised that half way through posting.

you still got the extra space and heat issue though.

you can pick wi-fi access points up for peanuts though. and if you buy a chumby, id be surprised if you didnt have wi-fi.

itd be something to think about. maybe wire something to the chumbilical for ethernet. then people have the option for it. it just seems that you are trying to accomodate the minority. the majority of people will have wi-fi, or buy wi-fi for use. hell, i bought wi-fi for my mums laptop, and she doesnt use it that often.

possibly offering a usb ethernet dongle, or an addon is the best option. cos then people can choose, and theres no extra cost for the majority, and for people who need ethernet, the cost is minimal. it also gives people the choice as to whether they use homeplug. or if they choose to use ICS on a pc, or whatever.

username is chumby
password is chumby

YES You've Totaly Misjudged The Market!!!!
We Want A Laptop-Like  Portable Computer That will Run A OS In Todays Settings Not Chumby OS.Big Screen.And Other Computer Stuff.
Yeah A Clock should Cost $150.00 To $250.00 sad

its not just a clock though.

you are sort of missing the point. the chumby is meant to be a beside computer, for reading you emails, and playing your mp3s. id bet more people have wi-fi than have cat5 in the bedroom.

and you can get expensive beside clocks with projectors and crap. so there is a market for them.

username is chumby
password is chumby

I think most of the market would want the wi-fi, but there is a subset (like me) who don't *want* wi-fi, regardless of how cheap. It's a paranoia/anti-social thing - I don't want somebody to be able to easily tap into my network.

mcast.netzlnetworks wrote:

We Want A Laptop-Like  Portable Computer That will Run A OS In Todays Settings Not Chumby OS.Big Screen.And Other Computer Stuff.

Well, um...we don't make those.

I think that market is already filled by the Palm and Pocket PC. From what I've seen, the Chumby is not positioned to be a portable computing device, so much as it is to be an "ambient" (sorry for the wanky buzzword) device, such as a watch or, as it is intentioned, a clock, would be.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the Chumby is positioned EXACTLY where it should be.

if you aren't paranoid about wirelessness.. then go buy yourself a 3 dollar wireless router.. and save yourself from ugly wires with adapters with more software... 

heres one on sale right now: http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/prodde … ;langid=EN

Ther is one thing that needs to be cleared: Chumby is not a computer replacement.
It is a bedside accesory. It's made to make certain things easier for us. Yeah sure, you could probably buy an 4 year old laptop on ebay for about $200 and have 4 times the procesing power of chumby and almost unlimited availability of software, but that's not the point of this device.
The creators created (duhh..) a great product, and I personally think this is a great idea and it will grow much more than expected. People don't want to turn on their computers every morning just to read their e-mails and hear mp3's during bbreakfast. But if they have a device which is on allways (like... a... clock...), and has the ability to do all this tasks fast and easy then it makes sense.

Have you ever seen the clock market lately? Mirror clocks, clocks in wood bricks, POV clocks, clocks with constellation projections... and they all cost way more than $200. $150 is a very good price, it's not a cheap toy, but you know you are not being riped off. It's a FAIR price.

I agree...point missed entirely...I might well be the only girl on this forum as yet...who knows? I don't want to sit with a laptop or a PDA. I want something that is nice to hold....not cold plastic...something that can be personalised to reflect me!! To reflect my style! Even to make into a furry creature friend! Current hardware mods just don't do it for this girl geek! I'm also old enough to remember how much fun a computer with a tiny hard drive could be...if I wanted all the bells and whistles I'd go out and buy a $5000 laptop...I'd prefer to curl up with a fuzzy, soft chumby to read an e-book personally...anyway with all the clever hackers involved in this project I am sure it is going to be a very functional device just a little ways down the track. (I so want one!).

Either that person is a student of the Stephen Colbert School of Satire, or they have no idea what a Chumby is. Perhaps they want a HandheldPC? I don't know. It hurts my brain to try to think like this person. wink

But what if I don't want to put it beside my bed? sad
I can totally see cases where people might need that extra internal USB for hacks, and only hook up the wifi for updating data, or simply plug it into their network occasionally. You guys might see it as a fancy clock, and others may see it as something completely different. And they'll probably be disapointed when it can't fulfill their dreams, but that'll happen whatever you design it as.
It would be nice if you guys eventually release a more powerful Chumby available for slightly more for such people that need the extra power, which I can see as extremely probable.

if people read chumby.com/corporate, you would see that it is not a PDA, or anything. its meant for bedside use. like an alarm clock, on steroids.

im all for branching out, but people need to think inside the box, the box being that its a bedside clock, not a pda/fileserver/cook book (although that last one is a cool idea).

username is chumby
password is chumby

Exactly.

As a community the best attitude we can take is that the chumby is what it is and think about how we can add to its functionality and aesthetic in small increments. And to share those discoveries through the forums.

Focus on the cup being half full please...(personally, I feel like my cup is more than half full with chumby...)...then proactively solve your issues.

Sorry, I've been a Mac user too long, I think outside the box, and to the left, off taking a stroll. tongue