Re: On Chumby Outages...

This is a rediculous concept.
The chumby is nothing without the Web side of things.
Go buy an alarm clock.
Yaesumofo

jhaluska wrote:

I want to hear that the product is no longer going to be reliant on the website or even the company being around to function.  mad

A Chumby in hand is worth 20 in the Wherehouse.

27 (edited by creep 2008-02-25 13:54:24)

I agree that the chumby is not much without the web interaction, but I think the point jhaluska is trying to make is that the chumby's alarm function should be solid enough to function without the use of the chumby network.

Many chumby consumers bought this device as an intended replacement for their alarm clock (albeit a very expensive alarm clock) along with the other nifty things that the chumby can do.  If the device can't serve the primary function for this group, then it falls well short of the consumer's expectation.

As I stated earlier, I still like my chumby and have confidence the chumby team will provide solutions for this group of consumers.  I just wanted to point out that constructive criticism will only help to improve the product.

yaesumofo wrote:

Again only a portion of my post is making it.

duane recently had this problem as well, yet i couldn't reproduce it.  smells like a cache problem, though
i haven't had time to investigate further.  too busy pulling the remainder of my hair out.

/mdkail

yaesumofo wrote:

That's EXACTLY my point!  They have features requiring their website that do not need the website to operate.  What is ridiculous is that my alarm clock requires the manufacturer's web page to operate.  "Why did you oversleep?  Well my alarm clock didn't alarm because it couldn't load a web page."  The Chumby has been heavily advertised as an alarm clock on their web page, and I'm not alone in the people who use it primarily as one.

Would you be happy if your computer wouldn't load the desktop without logging into a website?  Well the Chumby is only a small computer in my eyes.  Yes, a computer is orders of magnitudes more functional with an Internet connection, but there is no technological reason it has to be useless without one.

30 (edited by myridom 2008-02-25 16:21:14)

Here's a suggestion for the programmers.. How about add a flag for widgets to run off a flash drive. Yes I know that you can do it with an XML file. But you have to get the widget there in the first place. For non-programmers this is an issue.

If you could add a flag to a widget saying, copy to USB, run from there if no update is available. That way any user defined widget would be able to run without the network resources being available. Quick and simple solution.

You could also lock this down to a category so certain widgets couldn't do it. Or add the option during uploading for the widget author to approve this.

And clearly state, *function requires external USB drive.

Just an idea smile
MyridoM

Then sell us a elbow flash drive so it doesn't stick out.. hehehe

When someone annoys me, it takes 42 muscles in my face to frown...but it takes only 4 muscles to extend my arm and b**ch-slap you!
http://haunterofthenight.com/ * new blog location

mdkail wrote:

duane recently had this problem as well, yet i couldn't reproduce it.  smells like a cache problem, though
i haven't had time to investigate further.  too busy pulling the remainder of my hair out.

Add me to the list of people that has happened too. I resorted to breaking up my post into several rapidfire miniposts.

yaesumofo wrote:

Go buy an alarm clock.
Yaesumofo

Most people who buy the chumby think they ARE getting an alarm clock.  After all, every promo has a clock on it and the tag line is "a better way to wake up".

Mine of course this morning failed to wake me up again.  This time it wasn't a network issue - for some reason the alarm made no sound.  Woke up to my back alarm and the alarm screen was just sitting there, no sound, even though the alarm was set to sound 'forever'.

I played with it a bit and reselecting the sound file seemed to fix it.  I'm guessing something happened to corrupt the alarm entry when the network stuff glitched.

I guess the best way to look at the Chumby is that it's still a beta product.  Definitely not stable yet...

Out of curiousity, what was the audio source you chose that didn't work, but did work after you reselected it?

I can say that one day post event my alarm worked perfectly. it was a multiple event alarm as well.
Things are looking up.
While the chumby does have an alarm clock as part of it's feature set. IMHO this is a minor feature. First of all not every CLOCK is an ALARM CLOCK.
IMHO the clock feature has been there from the beginning. the alarm feature has been in flux, evolving. The first stable alarm clock was part of the beta control panel. It is even better now. Still it was not part of the first round of features.
I wouldn't call the Chumby still in beta. I would sat that there features which are evolving.
like any OS things change hopfully for the better as needed and as time of the programmers permits.

Don't forget guys this is an open source object. I am quite sure that if you have created a better hunk of code for the way things work that Chumby inc would  be interested in it. Isn't that the nature of it?
Yaesumofo

david harpe wrote:
yaesumofo wrote:

This is a ridiculous concept.
Go buy an alarm clock.
Yaesumofo

Most people who buy the chumby think they ARE getting an alarm clock.  After all, every promo has a clock on it and the tag line is "a better way to wake up".

Mine of course this morning failed to wake me up again.  This time it wasn't a network issue - for some reason the alarm made no sound.  Woke up to my back alarm and the alarm screen was just sitting there, no sound, even though the alarm was set to sound 'forever'.

I played with it a bit and reselecting the sound file seemed to fix it.  I'm guessing something happened to corrupt the alarm entry when the network stuff glitched.

I guess the best way to look at the Chumby is that it's still a beta product.  Definitely not stable yet...

A Chumby in hand is worth 20 in the Wherehouse.

yaesumofo wrote:

Don't forget guys this is an open source object. I am quite sure that if you have created a better hunk of code for the way things work that Chumby inc would  be interested in it. Isn't that the nature of it?

While it does run linux and Chumby Inc encourages hacking the Chumby, the underlying control panel that is a sort of task switcher is closed.  So even if I were to say, write an internet streaming alarm clock app before it was released, they couldn't incorporate it easily.

Duane,

It wasn't anything special - just "beep" and "klaxon" (alarm 1 & alarm 2).  Wasn't a network source.

FYI -
The alarm bug I was having apparently wasn't related to the outage...it was a control panel bug:
http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?id=1810

Posting the link here in case someone stumbles across this thread.