Topic: To sign or not to sign

Hey all..
I was wondering what everyone else who was developing widgets thought of this. Do you sign your work?
I have about 7 widgets published so far. About half of them are signed "MyridoM" somewhere on the screen. And I'm having problems with that.

I guess I have never been one to take credit. I have always given my work and time away freely. I guess this comes from my early days working for a Public Library. I was always helping out other libraries with my knowledge and skills, that I never really thought about taking credit for it. I always just did it.

I know on some of my widgets, I didn't sign it because I thought it took away from the look, others I don't think it really made a difference.

So I guess I'm just wondering what everyone else feels about this. Sign or not to sign? Preserve the artistic look or toot my horn?

MyridoM

When someone annoys me, it takes 42 muscles in my face to frown...but it takes only 4 muscles to extend my arm and b**ch-slap you!
http://haunterofthenight.com/ * new blog location

Re: To sign or not to sign

What I would prefer is the ability to sort widgets by author simply and easily from the "widgets" page.  Yes, you can do it by clicking on a widget you like, but that diminishes the "authorship" of it which, I agree, is important.  I believe that the success of the Chumby is intricately related to the success of those coding for the Chumby and by all means, those who do it really well should be recognized for it.  I, too, would like the ability to know how many instances of a widget are installed, even though I've yet to write one.  I'd even welcome the opportunity to "bump" a widget that I find particularly cool, but which has been buried in the miasma of recently uploaded "cowbell" tripe.

Myridom: your widgets kick ass.  I would welcome an email from Chumby Industries telling me when you, one of my "favorite authors," uploaded a new widget.  If Chumby were to give me a summary of "favorite" activity once a week, or throw me an RSS feed, I would be very happy.

Sumpin' to think about...

Seth

Slave to the Light, Inc.
Los Angeles & Seattle USA
www.slavetothelight.com

Thanks for the encouragement.. I'm having a blast writing widgets. I'm doing it for my own pleasure and really out of boredom. Jan 1-April 15th is my dead time at work. I sit there and do nothing all day until something goes wrong. Gotta keep my staff up and running...LOL
Programming is not my job, just a hobby.

Yeah I too would like to see more options for the developers. A bio's page or something, a dedicated control panel for my stuff so I can administrate the widgets easily. Chumby has done a great job so far listening to everyone, so I don't doubt they will fill this void.

MyridoM

When someone annoys me, it takes 42 muscles in my face to frown...but it takes only 4 muscles to extend my arm and b**ch-slap you!
http://haunterofthenight.com/ * new blog location

I agree its a neglected area, the feed back mechanism is not fleshed out.

I imagine it's a balancing act between widget developers getting email  and getting no information at all.

Also I think in the spirit of open source that the Chumby is sorta built on, there should be an easy way to publish code so we can make better or more customized widgets.

I think you can create your own page on the wiki if you sign up. I was thinking about doing this for some widget support questions but most of those make their way here.

I added an About screen to the configuration page to one of the widgets I published. Thats about it.

I think if someone likes a widget of mine, they could just click my name in the developer section of the widget overview to see my other contributions.

-John Forsythe
www.jforsythe.com

Each widget has the creator's name next to it.

I like to credit the source of the data I am using in my widget in the configuration box and the text listed with the widget. Credit where credit is due, as they say!

As they say, but I feel very different, I do not know is the issue of data or other reasons.

I always credit the source of the data my widgets use.