1 (edited by creep 2008-02-22 22:54:21)

Topic: flickering light on my chumby

I received my chumby today and have been happy so far, but there's a minor annoyance that I just noticed.  When the room is dark I can see a faint flickering light above the screen behind the plastic/rubber bezel.

The flickering is constantly there, but it's not a consistent strobing.  It sort of looks like a very dim flickering candle flame.

I see the flickering when I set the chumby to night mode.  When it is out of night mode, I'm not sure if the flickering is there or if becaues I'm out of night mode the screen brightness prevents me from seeing the flicker.

Is this normal? Has anybody else seen this?

Could it be that  because I have a lighter color chumby (latte) the lighter color plastic/rubber is more translucent which allows the flicker to be seen?

Re: flickering light on my chumby

It's normal. I believe it's an LED on the WiFi dongle. When my chumby's in night mode, I see a single blink every few seconds or so. You'll see more rapid flashing when it's downloading. I think of it as the chumby's heartbeat smile

It is definitely the WiFi dongle. I've written a little script that turns off the WiFi and the display during nightmode.

4 (edited by creep 2008-02-23 09:10:00)

Thanks for the information, the network LED explanation makes perfect sense.  I'm glad to know my chumby is exhibiting normal behavior.   

I'll play around with the script after I get a better understanding of how to hack a chumby. smile