Topic: I want to get one... few problems

Ok... I was interested in the chumby the first I heard of it, I think there was a popsci article on it?

Its been awhile, but after seeing it on gizmodo today... my interest was piqued again.

I know it has that ipod port in it. I don't have an ipod, what other options for playing mp3s over it? Memory sticks work?

I had more questions but after searching some more I found the answers. This one eludes me though. I've read various threads on problems playing things off USB keys, but never just the direct question.

If I have a USB key with MP3 files on it, will I be able to plug it into my chumby and play the songs?

Even better, I have a sandisk express (cross breed mp3 player -  memory stick type of deal) Would it play mp3's off of that?

Re: I want to get one... few problems

I know for a fact that you can use a memory stick with mp3's on it and they play just fine.  If your sandisk express acts as a USB mass storage device when plugged into a PC, it should work - but can not say with 100% confidence.

The latest firmware update allowed for complex names of files for the mp3's so this greatly improved the functionality. Before you had to stick to the 8.3 old dos naming convention. Now I just copy from my PC and go, folder structures and all.

-HuckFinn

Ok, thank you VERY much for that. Most of the posts I found on this nature were either before that new firmware I guess... or were overly complicated discussions of developing stuff for the chumby that I got lost when reading tongue

You will have no problem playing the music from a usb disk. If the divice presents itself as a drive when plugged into a usb port it will be scanned for music and the chumby will play back music from it..
There are a couple of small issues.
DRM. If the music has DRM embeded in it it will NOT play.

The User interface does not allow for the easy selection of music. it is sort of an all or nothing affair. the names of songs are not selectable from a menu.

I am quite sure that Chumby is working on this and it will be much improved in the future. as it is now it is ultra basic. BUT IT WORKS.

The access to the Shoutcast internet radio service makes up for any playback shortcommings imho.
The podcast playback service is completly amazing as well.
There is no lack of spoken word and musical audio playback on the chumby.
Yaesumofo

kosikutioner wrote:

Ok... I was interested in the chumby the first I heard of it, I think there was a popsci article on it?

Its been awhile, but after seeing it on gizmodo today... my interest was piqued again.

I know it has that ipod port in it. I don't have an ipod, what other options for playing mp3s over it? Memory sticks work?

I had more questions but after searching some more I found the answers. This one eludes me though. I've read various threads on problems playing things off USB keys, but never just the direct question.

If I have a USB key with MP3 files on it, will I be able to plug it into my chumby and play the songs?

Even better, I have a sandisk express (cross breed mp3 player -  memory stick type of deal) Would it play mp3's off of that?

A Chumby in hand is worth 20 in the Wherehouse.