Topic: I just got the 533_2 firmware upgrade

Just got a dialog asking if i wanted to upgrade.. was like.. huh.. ok...
it downloaded produpdate533_2.. and the following appeared in the Chumby Info after the requisite reboots...

version: HW 3.7 SW 1.4,0 FW:533

Now what does it do wink

Re: I just got the 533_2 firmware upgrade

Release notes here

3 (edited by joltdude 2008-02-21 16:42:16)

Talk about interactive
The release notes JUST refreshed after I was looking at them.. Was still seeing the previous release notes.

One thing I already noticed though
The welcome movie seems to be revised though..mentioning to use your nail to tap on the screen..

wink

I want to say I'm glad for the new update updates - when the last update came out, I think I just stumbled onto the news somewhere on the net. Now, my chumby tells me, and that makes me happy :-)

Well, those were two completely different types of updates - the previous one was the Control Panel 2.6, which is simply downloaded whenever you restart the chumby.

This update is to the underlying firmware.

Ah true, I hadn't realized the difference - however, since the chumby is an "always on device", I never reboot my chumby unless I'm fiddling around with it, so I don't think I would have caught that update without being notified, or by accident.

I am very impressed.
This firmware update is by far the best firmware update experience I have ever had.
Totally seamless. MY custom alarms did not disappear.
I figured that I would at least have to read my alarms and audio streams. Not this time. Fantastic!!
I have gone to the shoutcast channels which stutters. That audio is greatly improved.
There is no doubt that the folks at Chumby have done this firmware update with a great deal of care.
I assume that they set up the upgrade to copy and save the alarms and streams so that end users wold not have to do all the work needed to restore that data.

The audio streaming fixes alone are worth the price of admission. Now that I can actually successfully play back audio from my Ipod I am very pleased.
No Ipod playback is not perfect. a little more along the lines of song selection would be nice and I am sure it is on the ttd list.

In just 2 short months (the amount of time I have had my chumby) it has gone from an "ok" experience to a "great" experience.
The sheer number of widgets seems to have grown rapidly. Their really is information available for everybody.
Now that audio and video playback is improved the Chumby is very responsive now.

Not only is the Chumby responsive so are the people behind the chumby. If a real problem is suffered by a new or old user It seemed that the folks at chumby are ready to work on a solution.

You guys ROCK!!
Keep it up.
The chumby is a great tool. and it is only getting better.
Thank you.
Yaesumofo

A Chumby in hand is worth 20 in the Wherehouse.

Kudos.  Very smooth upgrade, good feedback, seamless transition.  Nicely done.

Smooth update, Major sound improvement on MP3's and they all play

Do you have any intentions on a way to play DRM Protected files?

My internet dropped while downloading the update, or somwhere along the line. Now it sits there telling me its downloading but it doesn't move. Its been about 10 minutes, should I be worried?

The update is absolutely fabulous.  Like watching a baby chip grow into a wonderful internet radio! You solved many problems and have stepped up the device a great deal. 

Only question, is there any way to make song titles or file names show up when I'm using My Files.
Thank you so much for the fabulous device!

Beastlykings wrote:

My internet dropped while downloading the update, or somwhere along the line. Now it sits there telling me its downloading but it doesn't move. Its been about 10 minutes, should I be worried?

Nothing to worry about.  If your chumby is stuck on the "Downloading Software" screen, it is safe to reboot the device.  The chumby will reattempt to download the firmware update.  However, be careful that you do not power off the device while the "DO NOT DISCONNECT" screen is being displayed or you may corrupt your chumby's firmware.

Very smooth update. So far so good.

I agree with the comment above about the "My Music Files". It would be great to be able to see the either the titles of the file or the MP3 tag info. Then to have some easy way to create playlists would make this even better. I would like to load up a flash drive with music and be able to play individual files, playlists or all files. The best would be able to create the playlists right on the Chumby by checking off the files I want to listen to and saving it to a file.

Thanks for all the work

-HuckFinn

Ken, yeah, I waited it out and it started back up again. All is good. Thanks.
Love the new setup, is it just me, or was there improvement in the way of buffering for internet radio. In my bathroom there was never enough signal to smoothly play music, now its much better.
Maybe its just me..

Awesome work guys!
Greatly appreciated!

Another satisfied updater here as well. Worked like a charm. Thanks guys, and keep up the good work.

Audio streaming is much better -- good job!  Out of curiousity, is it the same version of the kernel, or a newer version?

wayn3w

Worked perfectly, thanks.

wayn3w wrote:

Audio streaming is much better -- good job!  Out of curiousity, is it the same version of the kernel, or a newer version?

It's the same kernel version, with some fixes to some drivers (audio, wifi in particular).  We also optimized the rate conversion and mixing in the sound subsystem, which is why the streams play better.

excellent - One quick question is there any reason to still have my control panel set to "control panel beta?"

gatorchumby wrote:

excellent - One quick question is there any reason to still have my control panel set to "control panel beta?"

Not unless you want to continue to receive further betas as they become available.  At some point, we'll be putting out betas of Control Panel 2.7 - however, they're likely to start out buggy, just as 2.6 started out.

The update went smoothly for me too. You guys are doing a great job.

i know this is a tough question to answer - but is the 2.7 beta near (like a week or two out), or longer (like a month or more) out?

I understand you aren't going to want to be pegged down to a date - but I thought maybe you had could come up with a vague idea.

Thanks!  (And good work!)

MeinLein wrote:

i know this is a tough question to answer - but is the 2.7 beta near (like a week or two out), or longer (like a month or more) out?

We're not ready to answer that yet - Product Management is still working on the requirements.

ok - thanks for the quick response.  At least it's good to know that it's out there.

Anybody got a list of MP3 streams that will allow me to add radio stations via "my streams"??

thanks