Plus, you don't OWN ONE!

slave2thelight wrote:

...of a customer who doesn't OWN ONE.

big_smile  big_smile  big_smile  big_smile  You guys...  smile

Re: My fantasy Chumby -- Chumby Industries please build it

Razor1973 wrote:
slave2thelight wrote:

Chumbies are of the latter persuasion.

Absolutely.  The Chumby as you know it.  I am not talking about that Chumby.  Why can't people see this?

You do understand that what you are proposing entirely defeats the purpose of the Chumby, correct? Moreover, it was also anticipated by Chumby Industries, which is why they allow OTHER COMPANIES to buy Chumbies, modify them, and then Resale them. About the only things they disallow is the production of a Crumby (knock off Chumby) and (pretty sure) selling Chumbies with access to the Chumby network locked out.

darundal wrote:

... they allow OTHER COMPANIES to buy Chumbies, modify them, and then Resale them.

I had no idea.

darundal wrote:

You do understand that what you are proposing entirely defeats the purpose of the Chumby, correct?

Not exactly.  Chumby+ would still be an open-everything project.  You would just start off with a base that offers more hardware and functionality, hence allowing for even more complex hacks.  Less people would hack Chumby+ than those hacking Chumby, but the platform and purpose would still be the same.

Razor1973 wrote:
Tommy wrote:

Plus, you don't OWN ONE!

slave2thelight wrote:

...of a customer who doesn't OWN ONE.

big_smile  big_smile  big_smile  big_smile  You guys...  smile

Spankin' us on Gizmodo. Man!

Now, c'mon, only yaesumofo got nasty, and he does that to everyone. smile

30 (edited by Razor1973 2008-02-21 17:23:29)

Tommy wrote:

Spankin' us on Gizmodo. Man!

Ha! big_smile  I didn't spank anyone.  All I said was that I got fire.  And fire I got, didn't I?  I also said Chumby Industries received my recommendation better than Chumby users.  All true.  There's not one post in 2 pages that says "good idea" or anything similar.  The most I got was "interesting post" from bobkin and "we appreciate your feedback" from Duane (Chumby).

Razor1973 wrote:
darundal wrote:

You do understand that what you are proposing entirely defeats the purpose of the Chumby, correct?

Not exactly.  Chumby+ would still be an open-everything project.  You would just start off with a base that offers more hardware and functionality, hence allowing for even more complex hacks.  Less people would hack Chumby+ than those hacking Chumby, but the platform and purpose would still be the same.

Well, how does having more hardware allow for more complex hacks? Also, the point of the Chumby is a basic platform that anyone can do what they want with. Having different Chumby revisions being sold at once does happen to defeat the point of having one platform. The idea of allowing other companies to modify Chumbies and resell them is to address those who are like you, who are interested in having a pre-hacked Chumby sold to them, and one would assume (for legal reasons) warranted as well. Also, out of curiosity, where did the prices come from for those components? You might want to post the sources for those prices, so that others who are interested in modified Chumbies like you have proposed could produce them or perhaps offer you a price on one.

32 (edited by Razor1973 2008-02-21 18:36:58)

darundal wrote:

Well, how does having more hardware allow for more complex hacks?

If you were to add your custom applications to the firmware, you could make use of the camera(s) or TV tuner or hard drive or extra push sensors, because all of these things would already be there.  That's just one example.

darundal wrote:

Also, the point of the Chumby is a basic platform that anyone can do what they want with. Having different Chumby revisions being sold at once does happen to defeat the point of having one platform.

It would still be one platform.  Same Linnux kernel, same everything.  Possibly a faster processor and more memory to support the higher resolution and extra functionality, but this extra functionality would be just that: extra.  Not a replacement.

Duane, as a the VP of Software Development for Chumby, cost and current viability aside, do you consider Chumby+ (I am even calling it that affectionately, since no one else is big_smile ) a departure from the Chumby philosophy or platform?  I'd like to know your opinion, since there's nobody more qualified to talk about the company's philosophy that the company itself.

33 (edited by Razor1973 2008-02-21 18:37:40)

darundal wrote:

The idea of allowing other companies to modify Chumbies and resell them is to address those who are like you, who are interested in having a pre-hacked Chumby sold to them, and one would assume (for legal reasons) warranted as well.

And I wasn't aware of these until they were mentioned here.  In fact, maybe I'm googling wrong, but I can't find any such company.  sad

darundal wrote:

Also, out of curiosity, where did the prices come from for those components?

I just made them up with absolutely no backup other than what I'd pay for them.  Then again, I don't care much for either a TV tuner or an FM tuner, which is why I wouldn't pay more than what I listed.  Keep in mind all I tried to come up with was a business case, but, as far as prices, it was more the structure I wanted to show (what was standard and what was an extra charge) than the actual prices.  That would obviously be up to the manufacturer.

Sometimes it takes more than money for people to have their cake and to eat it too.
You assume that all it will take to create your Chumby + is cash.
I believe that there is a whole lot more to it.

I still don't think that YOU get the point of the chumby. You are so busy defending your chumby + that you can't see beyond the horizon you have created.
You need to look no hold on to a chumby to be able to understand.
Yaesumofo

Razor1973 wrote:
Tommy wrote:

Seems to me that making custom Chumbies for a premium price would be a small, but potentially profitable, niche market for someone who likes that sort of hacking.

(Not for me. I can barely hack an Easy button.)

But, Tommy, that's the point.  The Chumby+ (as I like to call it) is for those people who will pay that premium not to have to hack it and still have all the features they want.  Plus all those features will be under warranty as opposed to voiding your warranty the second you open your Chumby up.

A Chumby in hand is worth 20 in the Wherehouse.

Razor1973 wrote:
darundal wrote:

Well, how does having more hardware allow for more complex hacks?

If you were to add your custom applications to the firmware, you could make use of the camera(s) or TV tuner or hard drive or extra push sensors, because all of these things would already be there.  That's just one example.

darundal wrote:

Also, the point of the Chumby is a basic platform that anyone can do what they want with. Having different Chumby revisions being sold at once does happen to defeat the point of having one platform.

It would still be one platform.  Same Linnux kernel, same everything.  Possibly a faster processor and more memory to support the higher resolution and extra functionality, but this extra functionality would be just that: extra.  Not a replacement.

Duane, as a the VP of Software Development for Chumby, cost and current viability aside, do you consider Chumby+ (I am even calling it that affectionately, since no one else is big_smile ) a departure from the Chumby philosophy or platform?  I'd like to know your opinion, since there's nobody more qualified to talk about the company's philosophy that the company itself.

You seem to believe the term "Hack" and "Platform" only refer to software only. You are incorrect on both counts. Moreover, you still have not proven how more hardware = more complex hacks.

Razor1973 wrote:
darundal wrote:

The idea of allowing other companies to modify Chumbies and resell them is to address those who are like you, who are interested in having a pre-hacked Chumby sold to them, and one would assume (for legal reasons) warranted as well.

And I wasn't aware of these until they were mentioned here.  In fact, maybe I'm googling wrong, but I can't find any such company.  sad

Because no such company yet exists, or if it exists, it has not made itself publicly known. Stating a possibility is not the same as stating a reality. What was stated there was a possibility which those from Chumby Industries have spoken about before.

36 (edited by darundal 2008-02-21 23:13:53)

Razor1973 wrote:
darundal wrote:

darundal wrote:

Also, out of curiosity, where did the prices come from for those components?

I just made them up with absolutely no backup other than what I'd pay for them.  Then again, I don't care much for either a TV tuner or an FM tuner, which is why I wouldn't pay more than what I listed.  Keep in mind all I tried to come up with was a business case, but, as far as prices, it was more the structure I wanted to show (what was standard and what was an extra charge) than the actual prices.  That would obviously be up to the manufacturer.

Well, if you were trying to come up with a business case, then using prices that are grounded in reality would perhaps have been a better idea. What you would pay != economically feasible. Giving prices is not necessary to show structure. Moreover, you fail to consider the added costs associated with upgrading the Chumbies hardware (as in processor, etc...) so that it could run those devices and use them in any meaningful way.

darundal wrote:

You seem to believe the term "Hack" and "Platform" only refer to software only. You are incorrect on both counts. Moreover, you still have not proven how more hardware = more complex hacks.

Says who? smile  I specifically said "That's just one example."  Here's another.  Following the same logic, your hardware hacks will now be able to use more hardware.  I call that more complexity.  You call it what you want, really.

darundal wrote:

Because no such company yet exists, or if it exists, it has not made itself publicly known. Stating a possibility is not the same as stating a reality. What was stated there was a possibility which those from Chumby Industries have spoken about before.

Then, as soon as they do (if they do), your claims will start to become valid.  They aren't now.  smile

darundal wrote:

Well, if you were trying to come up with a business case, then using prices that are grounded in reality would perhaps have been a better idea. What you would pay != economically feasible. Giving prices is not necessary to show structure. Moreover, you fail to consider the added costs associated with upgrading the Chumbies hardware (as in processor, etc...) so that it could run those devices and use them in any meaningful way.

Hey, it's my business model.  I dictate my prices. big_smile  But --really-- stop focusing on the pricing figures and look at the pricing structure.  Price numbers are the mechanism I chose to show such structure.

darundal wrote:

Moreover, you fail to consider the added costs associated with upgrading the Chumbies hardware (as in processor, etc...) so that it could run those devices and use them in any meaningful way.

But I didn't.  Why do you think Chumby+ is $100 more than Chumby in base form and more than twice its price when well loaded?  And, once again, if $100 extra is not enough, then raise it $200 or whatever will turn a profit.  That's not my point.  My point is that it would be at a higher price point.

darundal wrote:
Razor1973 wrote:
darundal wrote:

darundal wrote:

And why do you keep quoting yourself, my friend?  big_smile

I am copying your response to what I said. I am just to lazy to remove the rest.

This is quickly becoming a meaningless thread. Is the basic point that the Chumbie folks could, at a later date and at a higher cost, provide a Chumby+ that would be customizable at a modular hardware level by ordinary, non-hacker folks?

If that's the point, I think it's a good one.

Tommy wrote:

This is quickly becoming a meaningless thread.

Indeed.

Tommy wrote:

Is the basic point that the Chumbie folks could, at a later date and at a higher cost, provide a Chumby+ that would be customizable at a modular hardware level by ordinary, non-hacker folks?

Mostly.

Tommy wrote:

If that's the point, I think it's a good one.

Thank you.