1 (edited by Razor1973 2008-02-20 11:06:17)

Topic: My fantasy Chumby -- Chumby Industries please build it

Here's how I see Chumby Industries' next Chumby offering.  Bare with me here, since I haven't even tried the current Chumby, but my idea is not to come up with a new version, but to keep offering the current Chumby as well as a higher profile, higher price point device as detailed below.  smile

#1, it will be offered at a higher price point than today's Chumby and customization will be allowed
#2, it will be called Chumby+ (ha!)
#3, the screen will be larger at 4.3" with a display resolution of 480x272
#4, it will share the same shape as today's Chumby, only...
#5, an extra push sensor will be added to each side for one-push access to commonly-used functions (previous and next widget, for example)
#6, it will be offered with more color choices, as well as designs and maybe the possiblity to create your own design for a fee; different colors should also be offered for the plastic in the front
#7, it will have a 3.2 MP camera in the rear and possibly a lower resolution camera in the front for video conferencing
#8, it will incorporate a web browser, POP/IMAP/Gmail/Hotmail/AOL/Yahoo e-mail client that supports multiple accounts and a multi-protocol instant messenger that also supports multiple accounts
#9, it will allow you to browse, add and configure widgets and your account in general directly on its screen, so you won't need a computer to complete these tasks
#10, it will incorporate a memory card reader for multiple formats

The base cost of this unit will be $280 and the following add-ons can be tackled on

$20 for a TV tuner and TV application
$15 for a radio tuner and a radio application
$30 for a 4GB internal hard drive where you can store music, photos and video and an application that will allow you to browse and play these
$45 for a 8GB hd
$30 for a provide-your-own-design casing

A fully loaded Chumby+ will be $360 and a fully loaded, fully customized Chumby+ will be $390 (still under $400).

The following features I thought about, but then dismissed because they do not represent what the Chumby is or needs to be.

* bluetooth -- this is still a maybe
* faster processor -- we need to keep the cost down
* more memory -- same as above
* multi-tasking -- this would require a completely new O/S...  too much $$$... plus that's not Chumby
* accelerometer -- really...  why would you turn Chumby on its side?  it would only be used for gaming... not worth it
* GSM with SIM card slot (or dual slots) -- for when you take the Chumby with you, but that's not what Chumby is for
* GPS -- same as above

So there, that's my fantasy Chumby.  Chumby Industries, are you listening?  smile

Re: My fantasy Chumby -- Chumby Industries please build it

That is the glory of the Chumby; if you so desire, you can shove all that stuff in yourself.

3 (edited by Razor1973 2008-02-20 11:25:34)

darundal wrote:

That is the glory of the Chumby; if you so desire, you can shove all that stuff in yourself.

Oh, really?  Meaning you open up the device and drill a hole in the front plastic and a hole in the rear of the cover to install the cameras?  You take 2 Chumbies and glue part of the screen of the second one around the edges of the first one to make it larger?  Dye the leather a different color yourself and make the designs with a magic marker?  Get that spare Chumby and then another one (3 so far... cheap?), remove the push sensors and shove them in your freak Chumby?  And last, but not least, recompile the kernel firmware to support all the extra functionality?

hehehe   All joking aside, the answer is no.  There's not that much glory, really.  You can't add any of those features by creating a widget... or two... or six.  smile

Yes, actually, that's what you do.

Several folks have repackaged the device in a different enclosure, added hardware, and entirely replaced the firmware.

That's part of our intent with the chumby.

We can't build the perfect chumby for everyone - so we made something that you are welcome to hack to meet your specific needs.  That's not limited to just making widgets.

5 (edited by Razor1973 2008-02-20 11:53:59)

Hmmm...  Would that also apply to the larger screen?  I must confess that's probably the one reason that's making me have second thoughts about the Chumby.  The fact that its screen is the same size as my iPhone screen.

I think the screen size is really the one blocking thing on your list - at these sizes, there are no standard interfaces for such screens.  Standard connectors don't happen until you're about VGA resolution.

Chumby Industries has just released the Chumby to the general public after several years of preparation.  Currently it is the only device on the planet of its kind that does what it does and does it exceptionally well.  It has been compared to the Clocky, wi-fi radio and the wi-fi Nabaztag on the internet but the Chumby does so much more than these devices.  They don't even come close to what the current Chumby can do in its present state.  I feel that adding all these extra peripherals to the Chumby would take away the purpose for what the Chumby was designed to do.  These extra peripherals would make it a computer and I just don't want another computer.  I, personally, am looking forward to the accessories that Chumby Industries will be releasing in the future so I can customize my Chumby to my liking.  I believe the true appreciation of the Chumby is actually owning one, holding it. customizing it and seeing it in action.

Bob
Columbus, Ohio

bobkin wrote:

Chumby Industries has just released the Chumby to the general public after several years of preparation.  Currently it is the only device on the planet of its kind that does what it does and does it exceptionally well.  It has been compared to the Clocky, wi-fi radio and the wi-fi Nabaztag on the internet but the Chumby does so much more than these devices.  They don't even come close to what the current Chumby can do in its present state.  I feel that adding all these extra peripherals to the Chumby would take away the purpose for what the Chumby was designed to do.  These extra peripherals would make it a computer and I just don't want another computer.  I, personally, am looking forward to the accessories that Chumby Industries will be releasing in the future so I can customize my Chumby to my liking.  I believe the true appreciation of the Chumby is actually owning one, holding it. customizing it and seeing it in action.

Bob
Columbus, Ohio

Couldn't have said it better myself :-)

Duane wrote:

I think the screen size is really the one blocking thing on your list - at these sizes, there are no standard interfaces for such screens.  Standard connectors don't happen until you're about VGA resolution.

I mentioned that size and resolution just to match what my Garmin 660 does, since that screen is not huge, but a nice size.  But I certainly wouldn't be tied to that size.  Just something larger than my iPhone screen and with a resolution to match.

10 (edited by Razor1973 2008-02-20 12:40:07)

bobkin wrote:

I feel that adding all these extra peripherals to the Chumby would take away the purpose for what the Chumby was designed to do.

Which is exactly why I didn't add those features on the bottom of my post (I even mentioned just that).  And keep in mind that the first thing I said was that this would be an addition to the Chumby line, not a replacement of the current model.

bobkin wrote:

I believe the true appreciation of the Chumby is actually owning one, holding it. customizing it and seeing it in action.

And I can see how this is the case even if I don't have one, but it all goes back to my idea of keeping both models in production.  One for those who enjoy this type of customization and one for those who would rather pay for it to be executed and backed by the manufacturer.

As a small company, having multiple models in manufacturing is a big trap - you don't get the economies of scale across multiple SKUs than you do from concentrating on one for a while.

Even big companies like Apple introduce a single model of a new device to build the market and manufacturing scale, *then* diversify once all that's in place.

12 (edited by Razor1973 2008-02-20 12:59:22)

Duane wrote:

As a small company, having multiple models in manufacturing is a big trap

This is one of the first things that came to mind when I started brewing this up and I could not agree with you more.  Technology-wise, there's not many things I'd like more than Chumby (both the device and the company) to succeed, since I've been following it since August 2007 (thanks to engadget, gizmodo, et al).  So I agree with you this is not a viable option... for now.  However, I do hope that when Chumby hits big (which I feel it will), you guys look into alternatives like these when planning your next move/product.  The market is there.  smile

Razor1973 wrote:

[

bobkin wrote:

I believe the true appreciation of the Chumby is actually owning one, holding it. customizing it and seeing it in action.

And I can see how this is the case even if I don't have one, but it all goes back to my idea of keeping both models in production.  One for those who enjoy this type of customization and one for those who would rather pay for it to be executed and backed by the manufacturer.

Actually you can't.
IMHO if you don't own a Chumby you aren't even qualified to make any suggestions on how to make a better bigger Chumby.

If you OWNED one you would know that the size of the Chumby is perfect for what it is. The size basis is that of a bed side table clock. A larger screen takes it away form this household handheld form factor. Personally I don't want a 3 pound chumby. You add all that crap to it and all of a sudden it isn't a chumby.
The idea that you are out here improving on something that you have not even held in your hand and experienced first hand is a bunch of baloney.
I suggest that you go back to the drawing board. Actually GET a Chumby. set it up and use it just like it is.
At that point you will be in a position to make suggestions on how to improve it.
I am amazed that you could come out here with this laundry list and you haven't even held a chumby.
Better yet you seem to be somebody who can get things done. go make your own version and come back and show it to us.
Like Duane said You could actually make any of those modifications you seek.
There is one problem though. in order to modify or even figure out how to modify a Chumby you need to OWN ONE!
If you really want this concept to succeed then support it by buying a Chumby and becoming a real member of the community. Making suggestions based upon real world experience instead of fantasizing about it.
Yaesumofo

Yaesumofo

A Chumby in hand is worth 20 in the Wherehouse.

Well, you don't OWN ONE, because you know... you don't OWN ONE...  You could say that once you OWN ONE.  If you were like me and you OWNED ONE, you could say those things, but have I said it?  You don't OWN ONE.

That's all I got from there.  Well, that's all there was.

This is not a personal attack on Chumby or their owners' choice to get one.  I said it before and I'll say it again.  I like the concept behind Chumby and I like what came out, even if I don't OWN ONE.  This does not mean I may not want to see other features I could use on a device I already like (even before OWNING ONE).  And that's why I'm sharing.  And the people I'm sharing with the most (Chumby Industries) appreciate it, or so I feel (I received an e-mail on this as well).  That being said, I don't need to justify my ideas to anybody and I'll be sure to keep sharing them with those who care to listen with an open mind, whether they OWN ONE or not.  I'm pretty sure I too will.

Razor, this is an interesting post.  I do want to say I have a garmin GPS and several small wi-fi handheld devices.  I have trouble reading some of my smaller devices because of the print size and screen.  I will assure you that the resolution, screen size, print size, video and webcams are all very clear on the Chumby and I haven't had any trouble viewing them or reading them.  I thought I might have trouble when I received my Chumby but it hasn't been a problem at all.  I have read on the forums that some people think the resolution might be too low, but that isn't the case.  Everything on the Chumby is very clear and the color is excellent.  Your post certainly has sparked some attention.

Bob
Columbus, Ohio

We certainly appreciate the feedback.

We designed the chumby initially based on our best guess at what we thought the market would like.  We hedged our bets by adding the external USB ports, since that seemed to be the most flexible and cost effective way for folks to add what they want.

As we see what people end up really using their chumbys for, then I think you can expect following generations of chumbys specifically addressing some of these uses.

I am glad to gear that you "Will" some day own a Chumby.
I really felt that your first post describing your fantasy Chumby was way out of line coming from somebody who had never even held one.
Would you send a description of your fantasy car based on a car that you haven't driven? I wouldn't.
IMHO it is somewhat presumptuous  that Chumby or the rest of the forum is all that interested in the ideas on how to improve a product which the person has NO experience with.
It is sort of like having conversation about a book but you have only seen the movie trailer.  It becomes a struggle to be able to talk about this book in any depth since you haven't read it. You only have some broad stroke ideas of what it is about in your mind. This makes it difficult to converse on an equal footing on this basis.

Lets be realistic if you did have some time with one even if you did not own one but say a friend did and you were able to borrow it and experience it first hand then a post of the nature which you sent the groups would for one thing likley be very different and for another possibly be more valid. Without the experience of using the device IMHO it is difficult to understand the chumby experience.
People ask me about it and I have a difficult time describing the overall experience because it is so unique.
The Idea of a fantasy Chumby coming from somebody who has never experienced "the real thing" is silly because quite frankly you have no idea what you are trying to fantasize about.

It is sort of like immature teenager locker room talk.
I stand by what I said.
I believe that once you actually have one to use and experience then your ideas about what the Perfect or best or what needs work will change.

Like I said get one. Then come out and tell share ideas on how to make it the best Chumby it can be.
Yaesumofo

Razor1973 wrote:

Well, you don't OWN ONE, because you know... you don't OWN ONE...  You could say that once you OWN ONE.  If you were like me and you OWNED ONE, you could say those things, but have I said it?  You don't OWN ONE.

That's all I got from there.  Well, that's all there was.

This is not a personal attack on Chumby or their owners' choice to get one.  I said it before and I'll say it again.  I like the concept behind Chumby and I like what came out, even if I don't OWN ONE.  This does not mean I may not want to see other features I could use on a device I already like (even before OWNING ONE).  And that's why I'm sharing.  And the people I'm sharing with the most (Chumby Industries) appreciate it, or so I feel (I received an e-mail on this as well).  That being said, I don't need to justify my ideas to anybody and I'll be sure to keep sharing them with those who care to listen with an open mind, whether they OWN ONE or not.  I'm pretty sure I too will.

A Chumby in hand is worth 20 in the Wherehouse.

Hey all - let's chill a bit.

None of this is worth trash talking about.

Thanks!

Seems to me that making custom Chumbies for a premium price would be a small, but potentially profitable, niche market for someone who likes that sort of hacking.

(Not for me. I can barely hack an Easy button.)

Duane wrote:

Hey all - let's chill a bit.

None of this is worth trash talking about.

Thanks!

Duane, thanks for the heads up.  I'm not even going to waste my time reading the trash talk.  Well, perhaps I will... after I OWN ONE.  big_smile

Tommy wrote:

Seems to me that making custom Chumbies for a premium price would be a small, but potentially profitable, niche market for someone who likes that sort of hacking.

(Not for me. I can barely hack an Easy button.)

But, Tommy, that's the point.  The Chumby+ (as I like to call it) is for those people who will pay that premium not to have to hack it and still have all the features they want.  Plus all those features will be under warranty as opposed to voiding your warranty the second you open your Chumby up.

The problem is that the Chumby folks aren't set up to do that. At least, I don't think they are. I suspect that all their time is taken up with developing and supporting the "base" model.

The only way it would happen is if some third party took on the task. And, even then, they would either have to provide a set of alternate models, none of which might meet your needs, or else truly custom build, at a considerable cost, I would imagine.

Of course, you would have to accept that customization sans warrantee, or else the 3rd party would have to provide that themselves.

I'm not dismissing your idea, it's just that I don't see a way that Chumby, the company, could realistically do it. Plus, you don't OWN ONE!

You're missing the point.

There are some things that are hands-off.  You want it to do everything it could possibly do out of the box. 

There are some things that are created to be tweaked.  You expect to twist it around and tear it up and make it yours before it loses that electronics smell.

Chumbies are of the latter persuasion.

I myself haven't really looked at "warranty" because I've sort of assumed that any company that prints its circuit boards, publishes its code, gives the fab notes for the enclosure and features the mods that people have done to their product.  Further, I'll bet that if you posted "I'll give someone $100 plus the cost of hardware if they can hack a bigger display on my Chumby"  you'd likely get a couple offers...

...but I'll bet most of them would be along the lines of "Make it $300 and we'll talk."

The real problem with what you're asking is that the Chumby is sold at damn near breakeven.  Adding more features that nobody is going to use all of will either increase the loss that Chumby incurs or it will end up priced at a more reasonable market price.  And, by encouraging its userbase to punk around with such mods, Chumby Industries pretty much ends up enabling the functionality you're after without having to bet the farm on the fickle behavior of a customer who doesn't OWN ONE.  ;-)

Seth

Slave to the Light, Inc.
Los Angeles & Seattle USA
www.slavetothelight.com

Tommy wrote:

The problem is that the Chumby folks aren't set up to do that. At least, I don't think they are. I suspect that all their time is taken up with developing and supporting the "base" model.

And I wholeheartedly agree this was not their intention with the current Chumby, which is why I didn't propose this as a new version, but as a different product, which, I also agree, would not see the light of day for a very long time, and this is only provided the Chumby is a success.  Chumby Industries should really focus on their one product right now.  I was by no means trying to replace what they have, but there is indeed a market out there for Chumby's brother.  I'm in it.

25 (edited by Razor1973 2008-02-20 22:35:26)

slave2thelight wrote:

Chumbies are of the latter persuasion.

Absolutely.  The Chumby as you know it.  I am not talking about that Chumby.  Why can't people see this?

slave2thelight wrote:

I myself haven't really looked at "warranty" because I've sort of assumed...

Don't.  Read your warranty.  Opening your Chumby will void it, as funny as this may sound.  Which --do not get me wrong-- I don't disagree with.  Chumby is a small company that can't risk having warranty claims pouring in just because someone came up with a hack that he posted and everybody did and eventually broke something inside the cute fella.  They can make it easy for you to hack.  That doesn't mean they need to back your hack.

slave2thelight wrote:

Adding more features that nobody is going to use all of will either increase the loss that Chumby incurs or it will end up priced at a more reasonable market price.

There's no way around that, of course, which is why Mr. Chumby+ shoul