Topic: Chumby Video Question

I will buy a chumby right now if i like the answer tp this question.
I do not want to stream videos to the chumby but rather use the chumby as a video controller. Have the chumby see a list of all the videos on my computer, and have the ablity for me to see a thumbnail and to click it. Once a video is clicked, then play the video on my computer. So basically just use the chumby as an external pc controller. Is this possible? Any ideas?

Re: Chumby Video Question

Not right now.  Not only that, I suspect there would be a fair amount of programming and firmware to make it work.  But really, what you're talking about is essentially the functionality you get from a Kaleidescape system; I've never seen one of them spec'd for less than $15k (granted, they come with the host system).

Chumbies cost $179.

So...

Maybe buy a Chumby, buy an Apple TV, and take the $14,580 you saved and take a cruise to Antarctica or something?

Slave to the Light, Inc.
Los Angeles & Seattle USA
www.slavetothelight.com

squareceo wrote:

Is this possible? Any ideas?

Certainly, though it'll take someone to program it. There are some really cool slimserver/Coverflow hacks on Youtube. Something like that would be a start.

Since the chumby is an open source device it will play just about any software designed to work with theses processors under the Linux which is installed as the OS.
A program could be written to accomplish your goal with relative ease. You are not even asking it to move data but to catalog it.
The Chumby uses Flash as it's main interface. Why not write a flash program designed to do this?
I am not a programmer. You might be or you may know somebody who is.
One of the great things about the chumby is that within reason you can do pretty much anything with it including lite database work like your project..
You could also probably make the Chumby play the video too if you wanted it to.
BTW Everything I have said here is just one BIG guess. I have made assumptions based upon reading about what the chumby is and is not.

I am 100% positive that there are proper WAY more qualified to answer your question.
I figure that maybe if I answer and am off the mark maybe one of the people in the know will jump in and correct me. One can hope.
Yaesumofo

square ceo wrote:

I will buy a chumby right now if i like the answer to this question.
I do not want to stream videos to the chumby but rather use the chumby as a video controller. Have the chumby see a list of all the videos on my computer, and have the ability for me to see a thumbnail and to click it. Once a video is clicked, then play the video on my computer. So basically just use the chumby as an external pc controller. Is this possible? Any ideas?

A Chumby in hand is worth 20 in the Wherehouse.

squareceo wrote:

I will buy a chumby right now if i like the answer tp this question.
I do not want to stream videos to the chumby but rather use the chumby as a video controller. Have the chumby see a list of all the videos on my computer, and have the ablity for me to see a thumbnail and to click it. Once a video is clicked, then play the video on my computer. So basically just use the chumby as an external pc controller. Is this possible? Any ideas?

If you were to index the videos on your computer, generate thumbnails for them and serve a block of XML (with pointers to the thumbnail images) via a web server running on the same host, you could then develop a simple chumby widget (Flash movie) to fetch and parse the XML, display the thumbnails and, when pressed, send back an HTTP request to the web application telling your computer to launch the appropriate video.

If you don't want to build the web application/tool that serves a video index and provides a method for launching videos, I'm sure some Google searching will yield a tool that provides just that.

Along these lines, is there anything that might interface a Chumby with ReplayTV?  Or DVArchive?

I just got my Chumby yesterday and am still learning it, but I was thinking that rather than transferring all my videos onto an archos (which takes time & effort), it would be cool to have the Chumby read what's on Replay or DVArchive, and then it can be in whatever room I'm in even if there's no TV.

Vice President of Duane's Chumby Buddies Inc, Pro-Clock faction                       Clocks are life; we all expire sometime.
http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?id=2565

How 'bout playing video from a dongle? Simple enough?

Access them in the same way you get music from a USB stick.

Or is that a ridiculously hideous and naive idea?

Hi,

You can check this page and you will fined your prob here http://au.answers.yahoo.com/answers2/fr … 937AA96dDs

Cindy.