1 (edited by Razor1973 2008-02-19 18:48:50)

Topic: About to pull the trigger, but does Chumby...

... have a web browser or can a decent one be developed as a widget?

Also, I have seen several photos and even videos, but I am yet to find one where the user needs to input data.  I'd like to see what the interface is like (keyboard, etc.).

I also assume Chumby is not a multi-tasking device, but please confirm.

And last, but not least, how is the performance?  Is it laggy?

Thanks in advance.

Re: About to pull the trigger, but does Chumby...

Input is done via the website, as is channel assembly.  Makes it easier.  And browsing the web at 240x320 sucks - ask anyone with a Windows Smartphone.

Slave to the Light, Inc.
Los Angeles & Seattle USA
www.slavetothelight.com

3 (edited by Razor1973 2008-02-19 19:10:56)

slave2thelight wrote:

Input is done via the website, as is channel assembly.  Makes it easier.  And browsing the web at 240x320 sucks - ask anyone with a Windows Smartphone.

Or I can ask myself.  smile  I have 1 iPhone, 3 Windows Mobile and 4 Symbian S60 phones.  Yes, the screen may be small and the resolution relatively low, but I'd rather be able to browse in a small screen than not being able to browse at all.  I guess you're saying no, there's no browser on the Chumby.

I don't understand what you mean input is done via the website (no idea what channel assembly is).  Are you saying I cannot browse through, add and configure existing widgets directly on the Chumby (Gmail or Flicks, for example, would need user name, password, etc.), but, instead, all this needs to be configured through your Chumby account on your PC a la WidSets?  Hmmm...

You can create a virtual chumby on the chumby site.  Once you create an account you can add channels and widgets.  You can also configure each of the widgets. 

An account can be created from the chumby home page.  After you're done configuring your widgets you can actually see what your chumby would look like.  This virtual chumby feature helped to push me to order the chumby.

I don't know how the virtual chumby's performance compares to the real chumby since I don't have one yet, but I did order one yesterday and it's shipping as we speak.  I think the target date to receive it is 2/25, but I think it may arrive sooner. yikes

The chumby is not a web browser.
You need a web browser in order to set up the chumby.
once the initial set up is done you use the chumby.com site to create channels which are sets of widgets.
For example I have one channel which contains WEB Cameras of out door video from around the world.
I have them ordered as best as I could from east to west. it follows the sun. When "tuned" th this channel my chumby displays these web cams giving me an around the world tour in about 40 minutes.
I can then play a Podcast or have one of thousands of Internet radio stations playing while watching the web-cams.

OK that is one example. Channels can be "Built" to suit a news group games traffic whatever you want the list is growing every day.

There is an interface which you type in the screen in order to input things like radio station searches or the chat. It is a simple alphabet and number choice system in a qwerty layout.
Lag generally refers to game play when there is lag between an action on your machine and the reception of that action on a remote machine. As such there is NO Lag on the chumby.
The chumby has a 350 MHZ processor. 64 meg of ram 64m meg ROM.
As a computer it is quite powerful fir what it is. there seems to be plenty of processor headroom for most peoples needs. The most processor intensive stuff has to do with VIDEO play

A Chumby in hand is worth 20 in the Wherehouse.

I think there is a way to save Html as a Jpeg, then a widget could pan and zoom over that.... seriously I think thats possible.. then again it's late and I just finished programming my first app!

Razor1973 wrote:

I have way too many phones!

Not really, but he should have.

Dunco wrote:
Razor1973 wrote:

I have way too many phones!

Not really, but he should have.

Huh?  Where did that come from?

Razor1973 wrote:

Huh?  Where did that come from?

Yeah, that seemed a bit random.

10 (edited by Razor1973 2008-02-26 15:13:03)

Duane wrote:

Not only that.  He quoted something I never said.  Well, in this thread, anyways.  In fact, I don't think there's such a thing as "too many phones".  And yes, I have nearly 15.  smile

Razor1973 wrote:
Duane wrote:

Not only that.  He quoted something I never said.  Well, in this thread, anyways.  In fact, I don't think there's such a thing as "too many phones".  And yes, I have nearly 15.  smile

Dunco wrote:
Dunco wrote:
Dunco wrote:

It's easy to do quotes.

You just have to write whatever you want,

and remember where to put the quote signs

See? Easy.

*sigh*

[Mimicked Dunco]

Razor1973 wrote:

*sigh*

[/Mimicked Dunco]

tongue

That one didn't work! darn.

Did you know that at least 60 seconds have to have passed between posts?