Topic: Capacitive Touch Screen

The current Chumby touch screen is pretty surprisingly unresponsive - it's the biggest letdown I had when I received my device.  Future revisions of the Chumby should use a touchscreen that can actually detect finger presses - of which capacitive touch is probably the most well known, thanks to the iPhone :)

Re: Capacitive Touch Screen

Are you touching with your finger pad? I did this instinctively and was not happy with the result, but having had a PDA for a period of time, I knew what to do. I turned my hand and used my pinky nail as a touch. If you ware ever going to use the keyboards or fine tune, this is the way to go.

I know apples Itouch/phone is set up for fingerpads, granted they have a much larger display. The typical touchscreen on a PDA is just like the Chumby. Just keep at it. Pinky Finger Nail.

I have not received my chumby yet, but back on my old Palm III the reason you use the stylus is that the resistive displays are pressure sensitive same force over a very small area is a lot easier to detect. Many of us using resistive displays in products tend to just use our pinky fingernail to select, which seems to be just as good as a stylus.

finger pads on a resistive display won't be responsive. In industrial and medical displays you use resistive because capacitive doesn't work with gloves. We could claim that as a chumby feature, although I haven't invented a scenario where you'd use a chumby with gloves on. maybe I want to mount it on my motorcycle with a USB gps adapter, but that might be a stretch. :-)

I've had some luck using the tip of my finger rather than the pad on resisitive displays. I also use my apple's capacitive trackpad this way, but had to crank up the sensitivity for it to work that way.

I just tap with my nail - doesn't matter what finger I use. Works great, never have any problems.

My husband gave me his outdated phone stylus...works perfectly and much better visually than trying to see around my hand. Games are more fun. When I lose it, a small crochet hook works great too.

6 (edited by yaesumofo 2008-02-25 23:26:09)

IMHO the Chumby should come with a stylus.
I have experimented with several methods of interacting with the chumby screen.
There is no doubt that the use of a stylus is by far the best way to interact with the screen.
An old Palm III stylus is perfect.
I figure that the first accessory to be a "HIT" with chumby users will be a stylus.

The Chumby is not an iPhone. I suspect the screen on the iPhone costs as much as the entire chumby.
Go and try to replace one.

The Chumby screen does not respond like a touchpad on a laptop.

The Chumby responds like a handheld PDA to the touch of a stylus.

IMHO The Chumby should have come with some sort of stylus.
I understand that Chumby inc believes that it can be operated without one...and it can. It is just a much better experience when a stylus is used.
I can see that one of the issues that Chumby inc. ran into is where to store a stylus.  If you have a device which uses a stylus then you should also provide a place to put it when it is not in use.

All of that costs money. The Chumby as a device is built on a tight budget. adding a stylus could add a couple of dollars to the cost. (cost of stylus, forming a hole in the leather with a tube to hold the stylus, making sure that holder doesn't interfere with any other functions.  The flexibility of the leather is a key feature of the design of the Chumby.
My advice.
Just buy a nice stylus and keep it next to the chumby.
'Simple.
Yaesumofo

A Chumby in hand is worth 20 in the Wherehouse.

I hate cleaning fingerprints off touch screens and was always worried about the pointy tip on my old palm stylus. So one day I tried using a clean soft cotton swab like a Q-tip and it works great. No fingerprints or marks from a pointy plastic tip, especially when dragging it across the screen.
Also, you can't beat the price compared to a stylus in an electronics store. People may look at you funny, but I love how well they work on pressure sensitive screens.

All kidding aside. a small plastic stylus and  silo that would double side tape/velcro to the left hand side of the chumby one would be a nice inexpensive accessory.. Sell it as an add-on/bonus to an order ...