Topic: rotate/set channels based upon time of the day

i don't think its possible yet.

would it ever be possible to change channels based upon the time of the day.
for example:
you wake up to one channel.
than after 9:00 am it switches to my news channel.
after 5:00 pm switchs to sports channel.
etc...

Re: rotate/set channels based upon time of the day

You can do this with the advanced alarm functionality of the Beta Control Panel. You can set up as many "alarms" as you want. These alarms can act like normal alarlms were you play a sound or music at a set time or simply take the Chumby in or out of Night Mode or change channels. I currently have my bedside chumby go into night mode at 11:00 PM, change to default channel at 6:00 AM (which also takes it out of night mode), then to a news channel at 7:00AM, photo channel at 10:00AM and then every two hours it goes back to the default channel for 5 minutes and back to the photo channel until 8:00 PM when it stays on the default channel for the rest of the day.

-HuckFinn

man, thanks, had no clue about the custom alarms.

quick question, it won't let me check the box "don't show alarm screen", its grayed out.

any ideas why?

This is a new "feature" of the 2.6.67 control panel. You just need to set the audio to something other than a default sound. So say a shoutcast stream instead. See my post in the Beta Feedback section for more details.

http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?id=1655

-HuckFinn

There's an awful lot of functionality possible in the custom alarms.  I've been hesitant to do a whole lot because for me, there isn't really enough feedback in the Beta control panel to easily show what you've done... or the ease of tweakitude to change complicated things easily.

I'm aware it's a Beta.  I'm cool with what it can do now.  I'm eager to see what comes next.

That said, I would *love* to be able to edit and deploy custom "events" ('cuz really - they're much more than alarms) from the Web.  The functionality possible from doing so, particularly if we can find an easy way to get from the low voltage on the Chumbilical to 115VAC, is pretty staggering.

And from a simple functionality standpoint, it would be easier for me to configure custom events on the web the way I build channels on the web now.  It gives me a keyboard, a mouse, copy/paste, and all the rest.  Even cooler?  I'd love to be able to load and save custom event configurations and push them from the web onto my Chumby.

Here's what I'd love to be able to do: 

Set an alarm for 6:15am - maybe the ocean waves from the sleep sounds widget... or stay in night mode and play some environmental MP3 or other.
Have the Chumby switch to internet radio at 6:45am, and start giving me a few weather widgets - ONCE.
Switch over to another channel of webcams.
Swap to another channel at say 6PM.
Go to night mode at 10pm.

I'm hesitant to build that stack on the Chumby right now because if I need to change my wakeup time by half an hour, I have to reconfigure an entire stack of events... via a (let's admit it - fairly fiddly) touchscreen... and hope it wakes me up.  As I'm paranoid about alarms anyway, I'm a little spooked by that. 

This is all completely possible in Chumby *NOW* - I'd just like it to be a little easier to do.  Any chance?

Seth

Slave to the Light, Inc.
Los Angeles & Seattle USA
www.slavetothelight.com

I agree, it would be awsome to  be able to configure a chain of events either from the web or by editing a script and pushing it to the chumby. I currently go through the pain of setting these chains up via the Chumby's screen. It is somewhat painfull, but until this functionality is available I will keep tapping away. I hope they keep adding more available actions.

-HuckFinn