Topic: How's Chumby doing??

As it seems pretty quite on the Chumby front lately -- even new widgets and Beta control consoles have been slower in coming -- does anyone know how well Chumby is doing in terms of sales, etc?

I desperately want Chumby to succeed, but I'm starting to get a little nervous.

Re: How's Chumby doing??

We're doing fine - thanks for asking smile

There's a *lot* of activity internally.  There are a *lot* of widgets that are built but not public yet.

The Beta Control Panels have been slowing down because the QA guys are now paying more attention to bugs as it's maturing.  We were being much more liberal in the past about releasing buggy betas just to get feedback.  Once we take it to release, you'll probably see a new series of Beta Control Panels that will follow the same pattern, early releases coming quickly and slowing down.

The reason for the apparent slowdown should become apparent in a month or so.

Great to hear.   I know there are "hunker down and get stuff done" times, so I'm glad to hear this is just one for you.   

Thanks for the update!

Thanks for the up date Duane.
I was wondering almost the same thing.  Though about "State of the Widgets" in process, by which I mean the Widget Laboratory.

When will you be able to sort out those widgets?

How many user widgets are in the queue to go be reviewed to go into the lab?

Is there a way to signify which widgets are Open Source and post then code someplace we have access to? Up the to author of course.

Thanks tons for keeping up the good work, I'm loving watching the Chumby grow in capability.

Hopefully moshiko51 will pipe up with the status of the Widget Labs - that's not my area.

At the moment, we don't have the facility to handle source code for the widgets - I'l bring it up with Product Management for their consideration.  One issue, which I mentioned in another thread, is that the source for Flash movies (FLA + as + other resource) can be one or two orders of magnitude larger that the binaries (SWF), and we're just not set up to handle 100 times more data per widget. The other big issue is validating that the source is really the source, not some warez somebody's parked on our server.  In principle, however, this is something we'd like to do somehow.

We released a bunch of widgets today -- Myspace, a handful of sports scoreboards, a gmail widget, and refurbished a couple others. There's a lot of activity in the Widget Lab arena, but nothing new in the last couple days where the authors have marked the widgets to be public.

The plan is to move all widgets out of the Widget Lab and into their intended categories shortly, once we have the ability to more clearly label widgets by author type.

Moshiko51, you mentioned that several widgets were "refurbished". Is there someway to know which widgets have been updated? I do not believe these show up as "new", but it would be nice to know which ones to revisit to check out the updates.

-HuckFinn

The most recent ones are in the Photos category. Some functionality changes (e.g., all of these widgets support a greater number of photos then they did a couple weeks ago), improved (we think) flow during the customization process, and facelifts to improve the general look and feel of the widgets.

Moshiko51, I have actually been having problems with both the Flickr and the Photobucket widgets. They seem to lock up on me after some time. I sent a log file to Duane to help analyze this issue. Have these been updated?

Thanks

-HuckFinn

They were updated, but the dev team is looking at that specific issue now to see if the code in the new widgets fixed that issue. Please let us know if you continue to see it, and I'll have Duane send the log to the developers looking into it. Thanks!

Do you guys ever stop working? I am always amazed as to how quickly and often you guys respond to posts. I will keep my eyes on these updated widgets and let you know if I still see the problems. If there is anything else you would like me to try, please to do not hesitate to ask. To keep the posts on track I will respond to the original post in Beta Bugs with updates.

Thanks for the fantasic support.

-HuckFinn