1 (edited by scottjanousek 2008-01-29 13:09:24)

Topic: is it possible to ...

... implement a feature that enables the user to tilt the chumby to the left to go back and right to advance to the next widget, *WITHOUT* going into the control panel?

I often times catch a widget on the tail end of it's duration and would like to go back ... but would rather just tilt the chumby and it go back, etc ...

I think all the technical issues can be addressed (since accelermeter can be used) ... but perhaps it's to specific a feature I would like to be usable across the board? I guess I am thinking of what folks are doing in the mobile realm with accelermeters.

Just thoughts.

-sj

www.scottjanousek.com/blog | scottjanousek.mobi
Adobe Flash Lite Certified Training Instructor | Adobe Community Expert - Mobile & Devices
Coauthor, Foundation Flash Applications for Mobile Devices - www.flashmobilebook.com
O_o ... Enjoy your chumby!

Re: is it possible to ...

Having this (optional?) feature would eliminate 3 clicks within the control panel, and replace it with one movement?

Adobe Flash Lite Certified Training Instructor | Adobe Community Expert - Mobile & Devices
Coauthor, Foundation Flash Applications for Mobile Devices - www.flashmobilebook.com

The trouble is that we have a few widgets that use the accelerometer, including some games, with hopefully more to come.

I was just thinking about implementing some Apple like gesturing, but I suppose it would be too challenging or probably wouldn't work well ... like drawing an approximate < or > symbol (on top of widgets) to move about? ...

Probably same issue, eventually widget UI clashing with UI. Perhaps it could be set to 4 corner areas or something ... (I used to do this to employ this type of hotspot technique to provide entrance to admin mode when I developed kiosks long ago - since desktops where normally locked down).

I would bring up combo'ing of touch and accelermeter, but I guess that defeats the ease of usability, as I imagine like a mobile device, you really want to be able to just one hand and the less amount of digits to control the device (I find I grab the chumby and use my 1st finger to click the bend, and the subsequent thumb or finger movements within the control panel) ... depending on what I am doing.

> ...we have a few widgets that use the accelerometer, including some games, with hopefully more to come.

I have three ideas to get around this.

The one you won't like (but I think it's the best): take the accelerometer away from the widgets and use it as a system-level interface only. Changing channels is a fundamental function that is often desired. Posts all over the forum confirm that many see this as a function that desperately needs a simpler, less interaction-intensive interface. Widgets that use the accelerometer are few and far between. I loaded a couple to play with and while they have a gee-whiz factor about them, this wears off almost immediately. By far, most widgets don't use it and those that do are mostly tech demos. Shaking the Chumby sideways to change channels is a cool and sensible interface and makes good use of the hardware.

Second idea: let a widget hog the accelerometer if it wants. Shake-switching would only work for non-accelerometer-using widgets (ie, almost all of them). I bet many people - like myself - would remove accelerometer-based widgets from their channels and use shake-switching happily. Those who dig the gimmicky accelerometer-based widgets could still do so.

Third idea: when the accelerometer is maxed out with hella sideways motion, handle that event at the system level and change channels. More subtle movement is passed to the widget. This would let all widgets shake-switch while still enabling widgets to use the accelerometer if they want.

Thats a great idea g33k.

How about holding the squeeze button down and tilting to the right or left for next or previous widget? Just pushing the squeeze button and releasing it makes the Chumby just go to the control panel. (Like it is now)

I vote for Sytse's idea (I had the same one). That way Control Panel could mark current tilt/whatever as a baseline on key-down and any movement after that as a control interface.

I think this sort of defeats the purpose of even having an accelerometer, why couldn't there just be more buttons?