Topic: Use the squeeze switch to step through widgets

I love having my Chumby rotate through various widgets automatically, but sometimes I'd enjoy having it stay on one widget (such as the Abbey Road Studios webcam) until I'm ready to access another widget (such as my local weather forecast).  Would it be possible to have the switch on top provide this function instead of taking me to the control panel to hand select it on the display?  I think it would be handy to step through the widgets by simply clicking the button on top.

Re: Use the squeeze switch to step through widgets

this is was a much discussed topic. Basically the "squeeze" button is hard coded to go to the control panel. There are changes in testing that should address this issue.
If I understand it correctly there needs to be a steadfast way to get to the control panel.

Thanks for the reply.  I do apologize for not visiting more often and being aware of what's already been covered.

Has anyone considered the solution of using the motion sensor in the Chumby to switch widgets?  Perhaps it would remain on whatever is the current widget until the device is shaken...which would cause it to change to the next widget in the queue.

4 (edited by heyartlady 2008-02-13 14:54:20)

I love the push pin option of keeping a widget open, you know, for late afternoon when the pandas are really active and doing a bunch of cute things.

I've been especially happy since I discovered that I can get back to the control panel through the screen rather than the button on top. I always felt like I was wearing out the button on top whenever I wanted to change to another channel or widget, and now that I just push the screen it is sooooo much easier and nicer. And I'm not wearing out the button.

How do you get to the control panel through the screen?

I use a phone stylus or a crochet hook to touch the screen anyway, it works better than my finger. One day I discovered playing a memory game, that whenever I touched the upper left corner block of the memory game when I was selecting that block for my turn, that it took me back to the control panel. I just retouched the game icon there to go back to the game and began to get aggravated...until I realized it did it all the time from whatever location I was in the Chumby. And it must be a feature. I haven't touched the top button in weeks to switch around. Just tap the upper left corner of the screen and it always goes back to the control panel. I don't know if it works as well with fingers.

heyartlady wrote:

Just tap the upper left corner of the screen and it always goes back to the control panel.

That ability is being removed in future Control Panels.

Removing it???
NOOOOOO! Say it ain't so, Duane! That is the coolest feature and if anything I should get a prize for finding it. PLEASE don't let them remove it. That is a much nicer way to scroll around. PLLLLLEEEAAAASSSSEEEE!
Thank you,
Your Chum

Duane, maybe I spoke too soon. Future Contrl Panels? Does that mean it will stay on MINE?