Topic: Suggestion: ToDo widget

One thing that I think would be awesome is a widget that was tied in to one of the online todo list sites.

One of the best ones that I've come across is Remember the Milk. There are others too, like Toodledo.

What I'm thinking of is a widget that displays my Remember the Milk todo list and lets me check off items as I complete them.

According to their API info site, the Remember the Milk API was inspired by the Flickr API, so the development work to get it working might not be too difficult since there is already a Flickr widget (at least, I hope it won't be too difficult. I'm not a flash developer, so I don't know).

Anyway, this is one widget type that I think would be awesome to have on my Chumby, but that I haven't seen yet.

Thanks!

Re: Suggestion: ToDo widget

I agree - a Remember the Milk widget would push me from admirer to owner, because it would instantly increase the WAF (wife acceptance factor).

A to do widget would be nice, touch the screen and it will check it off and timestamp it..
Either that or import the Outlook To-Do list... or both *as separate widgets*

Well I went and looked at Milk and this is just a bit out of my league for now, but anyone who has done some Flickr work should check it out. Since their API is based off of Flickr's.

I think this would be a cool one, too bad I can't do it quite yet.

MyridoM

When someone annoys me, it takes 42 muscles in my face to frown...but it takes only 4 muscles to extend my arm and b**ch-slap you!
http://haunterofthenight.com/ * new blog location

All.

I am happy to look into using the Remember the milk API to make a widget. I am wanting to get people's feedback as to what functionality they would like / expect in an initial widget offering.

You can see the available commands in the API here : http://www.rememberthemilk.com/services/api/methods/

From my first look into the API, I am thinking of adding functionality to :

- view a users lists - (I am trying to see if you can get a list task size easily so that you could do a tag cloud type visualization based on number of tasks / priorities / tags)
- click on a list to view tasks
- be able to set a task as completed / uncompleted
- be able to view notes associated with a task
- be able to change the due time of a task (maybe ?)
- be able to change the priority of a task (maybe ? )

Anyhow, let me know.

Cheers,
Aran

Aran,

That list is a good start. smile

MyridoM

When someone annoys me, it takes 42 muscles in my face to frown...but it takes only 4 muscles to extend my arm and b**ch-slap you!
http://haunterofthenight.com/ * new blog location

misterhee wrote:

I am happy to look into using the Remember the milk API to make a widget. I am wanting to get people's feedback as to what functionality they would like / expect in an initial widget offering.

Thank you!

In my usage of Remember the Milk, the features I use most are:

* Due Date
* Notes
* Priority

I occasionally use:

I rarely use:
* Time Estimate
* URL

However, for an initial version, I would be perfectly happy to be able to simply view my current ToDo items and check them off. Anything more than that is just extra icing on the cake -- nice and appreciated, but not necessary.

Thanks again for taking this on!

Thanks for doing this!  I agree, even simple functionality like seeing a list (or all todo items) and being able to mark them completed would be a great start.

Ok.

I just got my API key approved about 10 min ago, which means I can start to get things rolling now.

The Authentication routine for the API is really not geared to flash at all (normally you have to supply a callback URL (html page) to your users if they authenticate properly etc) -  I will post some messages on the developers mailing list / remember the milk engineers to see if we can get over the initial stumbling block of authentication methods for the all flash envirnoment of the Chumby. Once that is happening, the rest should be easy enough...

Aran

Quick update on progress.

I now have a workflow for authentication as well as implementing all of the required MD5 hashing in Flash for method signatures when sending API requests (you have to jump through all sorts of hoops to prove a valid user is making a request - good from a user security perspective, but not that easy to implement). I have also written the required XML call queue loader and XML to AS native object conversion

So, basically this is how it will work:

1. go to Chumby RTM configuration widget (once I put it on the Chumby site)
2. click (or copy/paste) the unique authentication URL which is generated for you.
3. This URL will take you to the RTM website and will ask you to a. log into your account and b. give permission to the Chumby RTM 3rd party application to access data on your account
4. after you have logged in and given permission, you will then need to return to the chumby RTM configuration (using the same browser/session - thank god for tabbed browsing) and click a button which will generate a unique authentication token which can now be used on all further API calls required to get / modify your lists etc.
5. Once this token is generated no further permissions needs to be granted by you

For some reason, the forum wouldn't let me submit more test in a post so here is the rest:

NOTE - You will only have to do this authentication thing once, but this process is integral to how the RTM API system works, and I cannot make it any easier.

NOTE - You can choose to revoke a 3rd party application at any time, in which case the token which was generated in the above steps will no longer work to authenticate.

I am hoping to have some early tests of the whole authentication process done by early next week (time permitting). I would like to get some people to test it to make sure it is all working as intended for everyone. The widget itself might be really basic on the 1st build just to make sure the authentication token is working as it should. If all goes well, I will continue to develop the widget to a decent feature base.

If you have any questions/feedback, please ask.

Cheers,
Aran

I am hoping people can now help test the RTM widget. Currently I want to make sure the configuration widget is working to generate the required authentication token. If the configuration all works, you should be able to view your RTM lists on the actual widget (only at debug stage right now with the actual widget).

Anyhow, in order to test, you will need to add me to your "chums" list. My Chumby username is "misterhee" (without the quotes). Once you have added me, I can then send you the private widget to test. If you want to know more about receiving/sending widgets etc, you can read more here: http://www.chumby.com/chums/info

Please email me after you have added me as a chum to confirm you can receive the widget. You can do this via the forums or email direct: aran at misterhee dot com

Ok, I put you down as a chum...

Ok.

I have sent out the test widget to '76house', 'gingerbeardman', 'cahorton' (all people who put me down as a Chum after I made the request).

If you could please give me any feedback as to anything broken etc in the config widget. Also, if the instructions don't make sense, or you feel they should be modified in any way let me know.

Cheers.

Hi misterhee,

the authorization worked well for me, I was just a bit confused I had already your token when opening the widget's config first time. But as soon as I reset the token everything went well.

Now I can see some debug output with list IDs on my virtual chumby smile

@76house

Ok - I don't think this will happen when you choose the widget normally. I think this is because I "sent" you the widget. It must also transfer all of the settings I had saved.

I will follow up with the Chumby guys on that, as I don't think that is desired functionality. You could accidentally give away your username/password to a service (luckily for me, the RTM account is just a test one I don't care about)

Thanks for the quick follow up and glad to know that both the reset and generation process worked for you. Looks like we are making progress smile

17 (edited by cahorton 2008-03-28 14:08:19)

I went through the process.  The widget comes with a token already activated (see here for what the activation widgets shows on the first screen:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/8293992@N08/2369871176/ ) so I had to reset it. 

When I reset the token, I got a new URL.  I pasted the URL into my browser, logged in, but didn't see the expected activation page.  I tried pasting the URL a second time, and it worked (presumably, because I was logged in this time).  I then activated and the widget and the RTM page told me that it had worked.

Now the widget is showing the debug info and the names and IDs of my RTM lists.

misterhee wrote:

I will follow up with the Chumby guys on that, as I don't think that is desired functionality. You could accidentally give away your username/password to a service (luckily for me, the RTM account is just a test one I don't care about)

The server will not forward widget parameters whose variable names begin with "_private", ex. "_private_username", "_private_token", etc.

Thanks for the clarification Duane.

So the transferring of config settings (without special naming conventions) is expected by design and not by accident? I re-examined the wiki, and I can see the line about the _var entry (but had not seen it before obviously). Can you maybe update your config widget example with both a public and private variable (with comments) so that any new developers will read about the functionality.

I am just wondering whether sharing settings when sending to a chum is actually desired. I think personally, due to the standard workflow of always configuring widgets from default once I add it to a channel, that it is a bit counter-intuitive to have it work one way in normal circumstances but another when sending.

Maybe a tickbox in the send dialog UI - "send config setting" (yes/no) would help users to understand that it is 1) capable in the first place 2) give them control.

Just my 2c anyhow...

Ok. I updated the config and debug widget to use private vars. You may need to get your token again. I am presuming I don't need to re-send the widget now that I have updated the swfs (I have never sent widgets before)

I think that I can now move forward with actual widget functionality. Thanks for everyone's input thus far.

Yes, the copying of the original widget's parameters is by design. That way one can send a widget configured to point to specific external content instead of something completely generic, ie "Check out this YouTube video", "Check out my vacation pictures on Flickr", etc, where the content token really isn't a big secret.  The "_private" naming convention allows the author control over the circumstances under which this is not appropriate.

It's one of the few places where we don't default to the behavior that maximizes security - in retrospect, we probably should have made parameters non-copyable by default and used a "_public" prefix instead.  Unfortunately, that horse has long left the barn.

Hi, any update on the todo widget?

23 (edited by misterhee 2008-04-22 21:53:54)

@cahorton

Yes. Sorry for the lack of of updates. I have just gotten back from holidays (without a laptop) so I have not forgotten about the RTM widget.

done:

- all authentication routines
- all XML calls to / from server to get at raw data for lists / todo's / notes
- create scrollable UI controls to view lists/tasks scaleably

todo:

- combine data from list calls and todo calls to give the user data they actually want to see on screen.

unfortunately when you make a call to get tasks on the RTM API, it doesn't give you a list name that the task is a part of. There for in order for the widget to a) show you what lists you have and b) show you the number of tasks in a list, or the details of a specific task, you have to make multiple server calls and combine the results to get what is actually required to show to the user.

I am about 80% complete on this task as I have created XML parsing / combining for lists and notes and I am finishing off the tasks side of things. When I am done with this, it should also give the option of viewing due or near due tasks as the inital screen instead of the lists view

- make the UI usable for end users

it is in a ugly debugging state at the moment, so some beautifying is required.

I will endeavor to have a widget to test (by chums) before the end of the week. Sorry if I am over explaining / complicating what I am up to, but that's what you get when you ask a developer what they are up to smile

All.

I managed to fracture both my right hand and some ribs on what should have been a routine mountain bike training ride over the weekend. I am very slow to type right now, so expect some delays... Sorry to those of you who are waiting to see something.

Aran