Topic: Multi-function button use

The single button atop the device that only allows control panel access is very limiting.  My largest complaint so far is to manually change a channel i have to go into the control panel, select a widget and then close the control panel- and this is not done very easily with large fingers.

How about having top button act as a multi-function based on the time it is pressed; a quick press could be defined as 'go to widget #', 'skip to next widget' or 'pause on current widget' by a user selectable setting in the control panel.  Holding the button for 3-5 seconds would bring up the control panel.

Re: Multi-function button use

The biggest issue with that scheme is that it's not "discoverable".  How would somebody just *know* all the magic timings?

The specifics of Broo's suggestion sound baroque but what about a short click that advances the widget and a long (2 second) click that goes to the menu?  I've seen a lot of similar suggestions on the board.

Not to sound too sarcastic, but with all of the Chumby 101 widgets that keep popping up on my Chumby I think it would be pretty easy to communicate any of these shortcuts. I would love for this "quick press" to be configurable as suggested by Broo. I for one would have it toggle the brightness, but could also see uses for many other actions. This idea of "quick press" and "press and hold" is used on several cell phones for speed dialing so I would think it would be easy to explain.

-HuckFinn