Topic: Using FlashDevelop to create Widgets

OK, I got my Chumby for Christmas.  Haven't had as much fun in a long time (not getting a lot of sleep, but having fun).

Buying Flash to develop widgets was out of the question.  Somehow, my wife didn't see the wisdom of spending more for the development software than I did for the hardware...  So I started down the FlashDevelop path.

Thanks to a lot of hints from other posts, I've almost gotten the 'Banner' widget converted to FlashDevelop.  Once I get it 'finished', I'll try to get it posted.

But I thought I would share a few things I found out on my path to enlightenment...

Adobe Livedocs is a great place to get ActionScript references, syntax and howto's.

http://livedocs.adobe.com/flash/8/main/ … ASLR2.html

While most it starts by telling you how to do it in Flash, each of the Learning topics usually include discussions on how to create the content on the fly in ActionScript.  Which is what you need to do for FlashDevelop.

There is also a nice reference section on each of the classes.

My current problem is trying to figure out the XML that gets passed to the Configuration widget.  It would be nice if this were documented somewhere.  It sort of looks like what is documented for the profile.xml that loads from the Chumby.

And then I will need to figure out how to update parameters from a running widget back to the Chumby server..