1 (edited by DaRkYoda 2008-01-02 16:23:14)

Topic: Chumby without is bag = Chumby kit

Hello,

As Chumby is an open project, I want to know if it would be possible to sold Chumby without is bag (only the hardware).
So we can make directly chumby like this :

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1136/1324790763_1ea6bf0384.jpg?v=0

without open the original Chumby

Thanks

Re: Chumby without is bag = Chumby kit

We have talked about doing this, and the problem is that chumby sells its hardware very close to our cost of making it. Therefore, removing the bag from the chumby doesn't really save you a whole lot of money. Instead, the recommendation is to buy a standard chumby, and then take it out of its housing; in addition, we are planning on making "plastics only" kits so you can do cosmetic modifications on the plastics, and then put your circuit boards (salvaged from another chumby) into the modified device.

7BAA 2E53 01C1 DCFF 497B  E7F0 9699 A303 78F0 D9B9

Cool, that would be nice for chumby crafts, Any chances there may be other hardware comming out (Chumby Accessories). It would be interesting to have aa USB Device that controls Lightswitches)

Well, I did get a chance to play around with phidgets (www.phidgets.com) and they work well with the chumby. The phidgets kit doesn't come directly with a 120VAC capable controller but it's pretty easy to add a mechanical relay that you can control with one of the digital outputs that is available in their kits.

I had to massage the drivers a bit to work with the chumby--when I get a chance I will post on the wiki a how-to for this.

7BAA 2E53 01C1 DCFF 497B  E7F0 9699 A303 78F0 D9B9

Keenly interested in this, Bunnie.  My "Killer app" would be a way to ramp a light dimmer up and down based on the alarm clock and I haven't seen a whole lot of ways to get from +5/+12 to 120VAC without invoking Crestron and the like.  How cool would it be to have the Chumby "sunrise" a lamp in the bedroom over the course of half an hour while, say, slowly fading in surf sounds or birdsong over the same period?  You wake up gently without a screaming klaxon, rub your eyes and there on the Chumby is the morning's surf report... and a Webcam of Huntington Beach!  Woo hoo!

Slave to the Light, Inc.
Los Angeles & Seattle USA
www.slavetothelight.com

+1!!!!

I'd love to dig into using phidgets but need a little bit help to get started.

Was thinking of buying a Philips light alarm when I saw the Chumby.
Unfortunatly my programming and elecronic skills put an end to my dreams of my Chumby light alarm.
This feature would make Chumby a strong competitor to the ugly Philips as the pricing is similar.