Topic: For Wireless, support for ASCII

Hello Chumby,

Not sure how this got past marketing, but the hex input requirement on wireless WEP config is a bit 1999. It's almost 2008, and ASCII support is a requirement.

Thanks,
-Ben

REEF Solutions - IT Network Consultant - www.reefsolutions.com
1st & Only Microsoft Exchange Server Group in NYC - Founder & President - www.nyexug.com
Read My Email Server & Technology Blog - http://ehlotech.blogspot.com

Re: For Wireless, support for ASCII

There's no such thing as WEP ASCII.

There are about a dozen mutually incompatible vendor-specific implementations.  Some do straight ASCII conversion, some use hashes, some are proprietary and undocumented, and even those that do straight conversions will pad with different values.

For us to try all of the combinations for the versions we currently have enough information to implement would take about 7 minutes. Do you think it's reasonable to ask people to wait that long to connect?

Hello Duane,

Not sure you understand the suggestion. Why not have the hex to ascii converter built-in to the Chumby. Why should a user have to go to a web based hex to ascii conversion chart & map "a" to "61", when the Chumby could easily do this. This is not proprietary. If this is the case, why not have the Chumby require binary. ;-) ASCII support is a very elementary feature for WEP, WPA, etc.

-Ben

1st & Only Microsoft Exchange Server Group in NYC - Founder & President - www.nyexug.com

Unfortunately, that's only *one* of the several mapping of ASCI->HEX that various vendors use.  And even that's not enough -  where the ASCII passphrase is too short, some vendors pad with FF and some with 00, and some with other values.  If the ASCII passphrase is too long, some vendors truncate, others do different things.

Someone using your method would *completely* fail on an Apple Airport, since their ASCII->HEX conversion uses a completely different (and secret) hash algorithm.

We considered presenting a question asking about the particular vendor of the wireless access point the user is using, however, that's not enough - some vendors use different algorithms on different models, and most users have no clue who makes their access point, let alone exactly which model it is.

We also have no way to check in advance for key length in WEP - so for each algorithm, we'd have to try all of the different possible key lengths.

Trust me - we've thought about this a *lot*.

Incidentally, WPA has a more subtle problem - it *does* support straight ASCII->HEX conversion, but the specification completely omits information about the encoding of extended characters.  Most vendors use ISO-8859-1, but that's no guarantee.  Some vendors simply don't allow extended characters, effectively reducing the actual number of bits used for security by 1/8th.

Hello Duane,

Ah, yes, paraphrase generation is the problem. I agree. I think that's what you thought I was saying. I think the better approach is to also include drop-down support field for if you know if your wireless encryption method (e.g. WEP 64,  WEP 128, WPA Personal, WPA Enterprise, etc). And also include hex support if you like. If this was followed, the exact # of characters for ASCII input of the encryption key would work on all these configurations (e.g. WEP 64 is 5, WEP 128 is 13, etc). I know, since whenever I setup an AP for my clients or others, I select a 5 character word, and then just remind them that for any device (Linksys, Intel, Apple, etc) to select WEP 64 and their 5 character word. I have never had a problem with this. I think the issue is Chumby is trying to make it "easier" by autodetecting everything. I would consider this the mistake on that approach since then Chumby needs to do all the work. Give some work back to the user, since all hex is a pain and will cause a lot of initial support headaches for newbie folks. Right now, my guess, folks are somewhat technical and not much pain is being felt. Also, if and when a battery for longer term use is developed, a mobile Chumby will need a better interface for entering encryption keys then carrying a cheat sheet for conversion, since the web won't be available. ;-)

-Ben