Topic: Overheating and WiFi failure

Sorry for the redundant post. I'm duplicating this here as this forum seems more appropriate.

I just got my brand new Chumby 2 days ago. Configured it and had it up on the net in about 10 minutes, no problems. After about 20 minutes of operation, it began failing to load widget content and finally informed me that it had lost the network connection. After multiple restarts of both the Chumby and the access point with no success, I set it aside. An hour later, I powered it on and it was back on the net again with no problems, only to fail again about 20 minutes later.

I spent the better part of this afternoon testing the Chumby with 2 different Apple Airport Express access points, a Macbook Pro in "network sharing" mode, and a plain vanilla Linksys WAP-11g access point. Regardless of which access point was active, the Chumby fails as soon as it heats up. For me, the touch screen becomes almost too hot to rest a finger on. After letting the device cool for about 15 minutes, it ALWAYS started up with WiFi operational and would fail within 20-30 minutes of operation.

I can say with close to 100% certainty that the problem is not with the access point(s) or any of the rest of the network infrastructure. Whether the Chumby's problem is overheating or some other problem that isn't related to cycling the power (i.e. a memory leak), I can't say. But after repeated test, allowing the device to cool down between tests, it definitely seems to be one or more components failing due to heat stress.

So now what? Is this a common problem or do I just have a defective unit?

Re: Overheating and WiFi failure

Please do contact customer support and get an exchange. This is not a common problem, the chumby design is thermally validated to work in the typical household thermal environment. Its likely a problem related to a (hopefully) unique manufacturing defect. I would like to get the unit back to diagnose to see what went wrong; of course, customer service will send you a unit in return. Getting the unit back would help us target corrective action so this won't happen again. We apologize for the inconvenience and I appreciate your patience.

I'll drop a note with customer service to expect your contact.

7BAA 2E53 01C1 DCFF 497B  E7F0 9699 A303 78F0 D9B9

I have had these exact two failures with my Chumby sad I sent an email today to support to see about how I can send it back for repair.

faldrick wrote:

I have had these exact two failures with my Chumby sad I sent an email today to support to see about how I can send it back for repair.

I'd be interested to hear what response you get. So far, no one seems to want to acknowledge what is obviously a heat related component failure. Dunno what the deal is but my Chumby is nothing but an expensive digital clock after 20 minutes when the WiFi dies.

Did customer support not immediately give you an exchange? I requested that they do that right away for you. I'll shoot an email to them right now.

7BAA 2E53 01C1 DCFF 497B  E7F0 9699 A303 78F0 D9B9

New Chumby arrived today. An incredible difference. The LCD feels cool to the touch even after an hour of running and no problems with dropped WiFi. Clearly the original unit had some sort of serious heat issue. Once we got past the tier 1 tech support obstacle, the exchange process was very smooth and timely. Now, I can roll up my sleeves and see what this thing can do!

7 (edited by taraba 2008-01-25 09:52:32)

sad

I just got my Chumby last night and I was searching the forum for a topic about losing wi-fi connection and found this topic. My screen is also warm and I lost wi-fi access after a while. It was just connected to the WAP and then stopped working. After a power cycle it won't re-connect. I wasn't really sure what was going on. I thought the warm screen was normal operation until I read the post that said the new chumby was "cool to the touch". I'm not getting burned by my chumby, but there's no way anyone could ever say it was "cool to the touch". But my screen touch sensitivity is really good and I've heard people complain. If I get a new one is that going to be something I might lose?

Also, if this is exchanged, do I keep my chumby while another one is sent? Or am I without one for weeks? I just got the thing so I'd hate to have to send it out in less than 24 hours.

EDIT: Ok, now I've found posts that it's normal for the screen to be warm. So maybe that's not the issue with my wi-fi. I'll see if I can pinpoint what the issue is.

i also received my chumby yesterday, so far it seems to have a similar problem. from cold it finds the access point and works fine. After some time it loses the connection, then locks up. on reboot it fails to reconnect unless i turn it off for a good 5 minutes or so .  (i'm only 10 meters from the access point so i don't think it's reception). the screen is slightly warm but i'd say it's not overheating.

alexjlee wrote:

i also received my chumby yesterday, so far it seems to have a similar problem. from cold it finds the access point and works fine. After some time it loses the connection, then locks up. on reboot it fails to reconnect unless i turn it off for a good 5 minutes or so .  (i'm only 10 meters from the access point so i don't think it's reception). the screen is slightly warm but i'd say it's not overheating.

Me three.. identical problem.

mines acting the same way

Write or call support.  They'll get you straightened out.

I RMA'd my problematic unit..  the replacement works fine.

Same thing is happening to me I think.
The screen has been warm since day one (5/3/08). Tonight it was extra warm, and around 11 cst, my chumby started intermittently losing its wifi connection. 4 other wireless devices are fine in the house. But I have done the standard reboots of the router and cable modem. I even went as far as to assign a static IP and make a reservation for my chumby. All to the same result; after a reboot, the Chumby has a connection for 5-10 min, then loses it. Prior to finding this post, I had already submitted a support request. Hopefully they will get back to me and have the new Chumby here asap. I really don't like going a min without it. tongue

I've same problem, but I live in Italy. In september I will come in Miami.

What should I do? I have to send the Chumby from Italy and after you returned to me in Italy?
Wait to come to Miami and after send to you?

Waiting for your advice

I might be having a similar problem with my chumby overheating now, I didn't notice until i started leaving the brightness on full and the chumby would work great for  awhile then the sound would get low, when i tried to use the control panel it was really slow and a screen would eventually pop up saying initializing until i reset it
http://www.99sonoma.com/img_3359.jpg   Screenshot

I bought my chumby in march, Anyone have any ideas or do i need to try and swap mine out also

thanks

Hi all
I tried to resolve my problem. First I try to reduce the brightness, it works great but it's not clear to read...
after I empty my chumpy, I get off all cotton (or similar) from inside and it works for much time.

Is it possible that was the cotton to give me a problems?

Same issue for me. I used the "Live Help" but I had one benefit - I had already used two previous units here at the same location, then I gave them away as gifts, so this one with its overheating issue was the "black sheep" and I could be pretty sure it was a unit problem. The nice "Live Help" fellow tried to walk me through some possible fixes, but he knew from my experience that my issue fell into the "saw that already" category, and he sent me the RMA. (They "cross-ship" so I sent back my bad unit and they sent the new one. I expect the new one this week.)

Question: my Chumbys that worked were not the black model. The one that fails was the black model. Is the problem you all have seen with a particular color (black) or not?

--Marc
  June 15, 2008 @ 9:00 PM
  N40° 46.565'  W073° 58.756'

Marc Silverman
New York City
SilverMarc.com | Chumbian.com
MY POWER TEAM: Macintosh, iPhone, Chumby, Geocaching, WheresGeorge.

same here i have the black model and the live help had me cut off my router so chumby would boot into the special menu and i did a full reset and 2 days later its back to the initializing screen until i reset it again, Hopefully when i talk to them today they can take care of it, its made me late a few times and im ready to pull out the old alarm clock

Exact same problem here. Black model and wifi failure after 20 minutes. I tested it with a fan and managed 30 minutes...Lol! Living in Singapore. Sending it back fro exchange through a friend in the US...Its quite disapointing. Hope this build issue was rectified.

Love the chumby though...miss it working.