Topic: Email Viewer

Great to get an upgrade to the POP email viewer! It's very helpful to be able to see the text of an email by clicking on it.

Is there a way to page to the second page of the incoming message? I can't get past the top 5.

- Rich

Dallas TX
Chumby1 Birthday 11/1/07

Re: Email Viewer

Same thing for me, and it appears that the 'top 5' I'm getting are some really old ones....

Swetch, you're probably using gmail.  Their email server acts a little differently from the others, and the account has to be configured in a particular way to avoid the problem you're seeing.  Soon we'll release a gmail specific email reader that includes these instructions for configuring the account:

To ensure that you see your most recent Gmail messages, log in to your Gmail account and go to the Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab on the Settings page (http://mail.google.com/mail/#settings/fwdandpop).

In the POP Download section, select:

1. "Enable POP for mail that arrives from now on."
2. When messages are accessed with POP keep Gmail's copy in the Inbox.

Please try that and let us know if you start seeing the most recent 5 messages.  Note that in the case of gmail it will currently also show outgoing messages if those are the most recent, as has been discussed in another tread.

Thanks for this information..Gonna give my gmail accouunt a try!

Just tried it with gmail and bucini's instructions, it still loads 5 reall old emails from January (almost a year old)...

Cant wait for the gmail widget. Will check back soon.

Keep up the good work everyone, I just reciveved my chumby today, it rocks!

It also appears that this viewer can view e-mails that have HTML code in them becuase I get a unsupported format when I view a e-mail with HTML code in it.

Is this true?

GMail users, you might want to use 'recent' mode. (check out http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answ … swer=47948 ) basically In your POP client, replace 'username@gmail.com' in the Username field your POP client settings with 'recent:username@gmail.com'. I was having problems with other pop devices (seeing the same thing that you guys above are seeing with Chumby) and this fixed them. I haven't tried the Chumby POP Widget yet, but this might help. It works for Google Apps for Domains too.

Does the email viewer work with Yahoo?  I've entered my POP3 settings but my chumby says "error opening mailbox."

I have email with optimum online and I have the same problem  "error opening mailbox"  I have tired a few times and wish I could get it to work for me.  My other email is a hotmail account and I don't think that works either.

Joanna

Gmail doesn't seem to be working for me.
Is this happening to anyone else?

One thing to check are you using the right port to access you POP gmail account?

I'm using gmail and it works fine for me. But I get some e-mails that say that they can't be displayed becuase of a unsupport format.

How do you figure out which port to use?

13 (edited by coolerelmo 2007-12-27 18:11:38)

Neobird43 wrote:

Per. the setup directions on gmail the port is secure so you must type in "995" as the port to connect to in the email viewer setup.

Let me know if this fixed you problem.

That didn't work.

Neobird43 wrote:

That didn't work.

One last idea.
What about starting over:
1. Remove the e-mail viewer widget
2. Reload the widgets on the Chumby make sure the email viewer widget isn't showing.
3. Turn off the POP  access on Gmail
4. Turn back on the POP access on Gmail
5. Put the email viewer back onto chumby and enter all the settings and the port.

Kinda of strange that it works for me but not you...

coolerelmo wrote:
Neobird43 wrote:

Per. the setup directions on gmail the port is secure so you must type in "995" as the port to connect to in the email viewer setup.

This one worked for me!

jazzimus wrote:
coolerelmo wrote:
Neobird43 wrote:

This one worked for me!

Great! to hear that...

coolerelmo wrote:
Neobird43 wrote:

That didn't work.

One last idea.
What about starting over:
1. Remove the e-mail viewer widget
2. Reload the widgets on the Chumby make sure the email viewer widget isn't showing.
3. Turn off the POP  access on Gmail
4. Turn back on the POP access on Gmail
5. Put the email viewer back onto chumby and enter all the settings and the port.

Kinda of strange that it works for me but not you...

It's still not working.

aethelwine wrote:

GMail users, you might want to use 'recent' mode. (check out http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answ … swer=47948 ) basically In your POP client, replace 'username@gmail.com' in the Username field your POP client settings with 'recent:username@gmail.com'.

This addressed my "stalemail" (as opposed to snailmail) problem - thanks for the tip! It works!

thx yetiwisdom

the "recent:username@gmail.com" works!
port:995
incoming server: pop.gmail.com

cheers, Gernot

Whoo! I got it to work.
I wasn't putting the right thing in the server box.

Neobird43 wrote:

Whoo! I got it to work.
I wasn't putting the right thing in the server box.

Good to hear! I thought you might have been doing something wrong, since it seems to be working for other people.

23 (edited by hepcat65000 2007-12-30 20:13:11)

Glad to know gmail works, but no luck with Yahoo for me.  Here are the settings I've entered.

Incoming Mail Server (POP3):      incoming.yahoo.verizon.net
Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP):     outgoing.yahoo.verizon.net

using SMTP port 587

Account Name/Username:     [username]
Email address:     [email]Password:     my Yahoo! Mail password

hepcat65000 wrote:

Glad to know gmail works, but no luck with Yahoo for me.  Here are the settings I've entered.

Incoming Mail Server (POP3):      incoming.yahoo.verizon.net
Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP):     outgoing.yahoo.verizon.net

using SMTP port 587

Account Name/Username:     [username]
Email address:     [email]Password:     my Yahoo! Mail password

I have my gmail forwarded to my sbc yahoo account.

1. I have my username setup with my username @sbcglobal.net so you might, put your username @verizon.net and see if that works.
2. Verizon POP3 is secure so you must put in "995" has the port# in the email viewer.

Let me know if this works.

oh great, i'll have a try!