Topic: New Widget : Toasty the Kitchen Timer

Someone had posted on this forum a few days back back looking for a Chumby kitchen timer so I took up the cause and I created Toasty.

Here is Toasty running on my Virtual Chumby:
http://www.jforsythe.com/jforsytheblog/ … Timer.aspx

I wanted to show a preview before I publish, to know if there are any other features I am missing.

Enjoy!

-John Forsythe
www.jforsythe.com

Re: New Widget : Toasty the Kitchen Timer

It looks great, but seems to add one minute to the display time when you set it to 1:00 and hit start. It goes to 1:59 and began counting down, but then went off after one minute. So in the end it worked fine, just confused me. It also has this problem at 1:00:00, although I did not wait to see if it went off after an hour. Also if you set the hours to more than 10 it acts strange.

I really like the way it looks, reminds me of an OLD alarm clock I used to have that flipped the numbers. Does the widget make use of the speakers or is it purely a visual indication?

-HuckFinn

Thanks for the feedback.

I fixed the problem you mentioned with "1:00" and "1:00:00" and over 10 hours.

I also added an alarm that sounds when the timer is complete (this only seems to work on the device itself, not the virtual chumby).

-John Forsythe
www.jforsythe.com

Marked as public. Hopefully it will be approved soon. Enjoy!

-John Forsythe
www.jforsythe.com

Great! This will be a useful widget even outside the kitchen. Thanks!

Wish list: a Restart screen button to reload the timer to whatever it started at (e.g., if set to 1:30, and runs to zero, you could touch the Restart button to restore the number to 1:30). My wife could then use it as a timer for her Yoga positions!)
- You could hit the button atop the Chumby to start and stop the timer.

- Rich

Dallas TX
Chumby1 Birthday 11/1/07

Great widget. Can't wait to add it to my channels.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Pushed live this morning:

http://www.chumby.com/guide/widget/Toas … chen+timer

Sweet! enjoy!

-John Forsythe
www.jforsythe.com

I was thinking about the Yoga alarm and the last thing I would want be the chumber blaring an alarm beep.

So, I released 1.2 tonight. It has a configurable alarm sound on the widget now.

Choose from three different alarm styles: alarm ring, bamboo chimes and a gentle tone ring.

You should cycle your chumby or let the cache refresh if you are using version 1.1. And then go configure a new chime!

-John Forsythe
www.jforsythe.com

Love it!  Great work!  Thank you!

Now if someone would just make an all-in-one Clock/Weather/Stock Ticker Widget for me...  I'm working on one, but still learning Open Laszlo (slowly).

actually, i'm already on that one; my clock, date/day, weather, and personal message "all-in-one" is almost ready for posting.  no stock ticker though.

watch for it in another week or so

jforsythe wrote:

I was thinking about the Yoga alarm and the last thing I would want be the chumber blaring an alarm beep.

So, I released 1.2 tonight. It has a configurable alarm sound on the widget now.

Choose from three different alarm styles: alarm ring, bamboo chimes and a gentle tone ring.

You should cycle your chumby or let the cache refresh if you are using version 1.1. And then go configure a new chime!

Can an alarm go off when the widget is not showing?   Or will alarm only go off when the widget comes back around which might be a few seconds or minutes later?

you'll need to "stick" that widget or set its display time to "forever". i created a separate "kitchen" channel for it.

nice widget, btw!

ih8gates wrote:

you'll need to "stick" that widget or set its display time to "forever". i created a separate "kitchen" channel for it.

nice widget, btw!

How do you "stick" a widget?

In the control panel, you can see the widgets in a small window, and there is an icon that looks like a pushpin.

-John Forsythe
www.jforsythe.com

Thanks for the great timer, John. My wife will now be borrowing my Chumby for her yoga. (That's  good thing!)
- Rich

Dallas TX
Chumby1 Birthday 11/1/07

Thank you so much for this! Awesome work.

This will be one of the first things I try on my Chumby when it arrives next Thursday (at least, that's when UPS says it will arrive, keeping my fingers crossed . . .).

Thanks again!