Topic: What would you like chumby to ship with?

Come on, lets have some serious suggestions. Personally, id like a few more usb ports, and a microphone. and some headphone ports. i think chumby is perfect as it is now.

Id like some bigger storage aswell. Hell, id use a usb stick if i had to though.

need upload space for the forums or a chumby blog? right here then
http://www.nophus.com/useru
username is chumby
password is chumby

Re: What would you like chumby to ship with?

Maybe not bigger storage "out of the box", but it would be nice to have the option of connecting a USB flash drive in case you want more space.

Why do you want headphone and mic ports? Any particular aplication you have in mind?

Chumby's got a Mike port, as for headphones it'd take practically nothing to mod one in as it's got stereo speaker outs on the daughter card (at least on the HSP daughtercard, I'm not sure about the default daughtercard as the schematics haven't been posted yet).

All I care for is that Chumby's "Chumbilical" has a nice connector on it that's easy to work with. Pin headers are fine, but ugly on a shipping product, but I'm not sure what else they would use here instead (pins are extremely nice for hardware hacking though; I just don't want Chumby to have an ugly connector like the iPod's that's nearly impossible to use without a matching connector).

How about a small camera phone size webcam? And free money. heh

~Ryan~

the microphone is for voice recognition possibley.

i thought chumby has a microphone line, but no actual connector?

and the web cam is probably not a possibility. i struggled to run a web camera in black and white on a 233 mhz pc.

awalton: you know you can buy ipod connectors fairly cheap? if you are looking for one, i can get an in car charger for £1, so you could chop the connector off tongue

username is chumby
password is chumby

lets see, typical in box items,

Power adapter, Usb cable, cd. manual. smile

On the chumby, Headphone port would be nice, and since I'm a bit deaf, loud speakers would be good.. I have a problem hearing alarmclocks sometimes..

having good easy to find connectors for the chumbilical/expansion port would be good. possibly even a daughter card in the box might be nice too..

for those that want more space, perhaps a connector for a MMC/SD card. dunno how hard those are to implment though.. or any licencing issues with that.

thats all I can think of at the moment..

i would pay extra to have an SD card slot. or whatever slot is best (i like SD, cos my digicam takes it, and my phone takes mini-sd).

i think the chumbilical should have some sort of connector, to allow for expansions. but make each expansion so another thing could be added to it.

id be willing to do some PCBs for expansion, but nothing too complicated tongue

username is chumby
password is chumby

An sd port could theoretically be hacked in using a usb>sd converter. Same with most other formats. You could even get a USB>CF converter, rewire the CF port to IDE, and use a laptop harddrive. That is if you can make the driver.

SD card is very easy to implement. But the USB-SD should also  be fairly easy to do.
This makes me wonder....
As of this moment what is the USB port used for? is it enabled already? Plans for the future?

I beleive it has mass storage drivers, and thats about it now. There are talks of other uses, but I think they will do this once they finalize the processor.

sounds good. hope it works with mp3 players, for mass storage. so you can listen to your choons on chumby, and on your mp3 player.

on those lines, id like some low-level activesync support, but i think im asking a lot. i have a windows mobile phone, so i keep my music on there, for on the go. it would be cool to grab files from that.

although, i shouldnt see why a fileserver couldnt be written for the phone and then just bluetooth over to the chumby. im gonna look into it.

username is chumby
password is chumby

I think that if the designers are worried about there not being enough space for all the connectors, why not do what Sony does with  thier UX laptops? Have a card who's cord plugs into the Chumby with a big, flat connector. Then on the card you have your USB ports, SD slot ect..

I think that if the designers are worried about there not being enough space for all the connectors, why not do what Sony does with  thier UX laptops? Have a card who's cord plugs into the Chumby with a big, flat connector. Then on the card you have your USB ports, SD slot ect..

Thank god for mass storage drivers.

SD, CF, Memory Stick... There is too much "consumer choice" on that front, a USB port would be more versatile. But, personally I'd be happy with JUST WiFi and use my computer to upload/download to/from the chumby over WiFi. Some WebDAV or FTP server software inside would allow for that, and a nice flash app would allow the chumby to pull things from other servers on the web or LAN on an automated basis.

15 (edited by neg2led 2006-09-05 15:12:25)

an SD Card slot would make me muchly happy smile

And i'm sure that most people won't mind buying a bit of SD memory to boost the chumbical storage tongue - After all, it's not exactly expensive to purchase a 128mb SD card - theyre down to like 15 bucks these days, if that. Maybe even include one with the chumby? it wouldnt add more than a couple bux to the price, what with the fact that you'd purchase rather a lot of them.

Oh and maybe an FM radio?

--neg

hoping for a chumby release before xmas.
every chumby is squishy, except the ones that arent.

Hi,

I think an SD-Slot would be a nice addon for the big part of non-technical-customers that just want it to work and to use.

It shouldn't be to complicated and that's why I think that the actual chumby-configuration is realy ok for customers.

In responce to reasons for a mic(built in preferbly, and a port if that could be done), possibly skype? At that point you're chumby could also be replacing you're bedside phone as well.

skype is probably a no-no cos of the processing power required. it ran badly on my phone, and that had a 233mhz ARM cpu, so i doubt an extra 33mhz will make much difference.

although, if you had a VOiP router, you might possibley be able to fire the audio through to that.

or, if we get this whole thin client malarky off the ground, then OK.

username is chumby
password is chumby

Built in Microphone!

"Internet ports" -- you mean like wifi?

despite the fact that you slagged off chumby in another thread, it seems you are pretty desperate to get hold of one.

username is chumby
password is chumby

chedabob wrote:

skype is probably a no-no cos of the processing power required. it ran badly on my phone, and that had a 233mhz ARM cpu, so i doubt an extra 33mhz will make much difference.

although, if you had a VOiP router, you might possibley be able to fire the audio through to that.

or, if we get this whole thin client malarky off the ground, then OK.

Probably best suited to the Software forum, but as for Skype, perhaps a better approach would be for the Chumby to be an Extender from your PC, i.e. a PC app does all the heavy-lifting, and the Chumby runs a thin-client front-end, with the voice data being shuttled between the two?  I would hope that this could be an approach for a number of applications that would otherwise be too processor-intensive for the Chumby?

- MV -

^^

thats something thats been suggested before. we've been uhming and aahing over it for a while now. most of us dont have access to the hardware to make anything like this. i suggested that you could run a dual-state chumby, that you could boot to thinclient for highend applications, or if you didnt need them, boot into normal mode.

username is chumby
password is chumby

IR I/O of sufficiently wideband to interface with existing IR headphones, Device controllers and controllable devices.

Then someone who is a better coder than I am could write a "Learn Mode" script for IR keyboards.

Scenario of viability from where I sit now- Chumby could detect my IR command for TV off- start sleep timer to wake me up X hours later by sending IR to lights on Ceiling fan light kit 's IR port- and softly play music from KKSF as wakeup.

Oren

An additional USB port or two would be nice. With one taken up by the WiFi and one for a USB memory drive that doesn't leave any for other fun stuff like keyboards, etc.

SD card slot. SD seems like the way to go these days (if you're not Sony...)

Actually, cheap powered or unpowered USB hubs make the matter likely moot.
As for external memory,there are "combo" readers that easily run on unpowered hubs. Earlier today I paid under ten bucks before tax for a 1GB Pendrive  style USB memory , and the same for a 1G SD card that even has a write protect switch!
That could store a lot of family wakeup inspirational pictures and custom voice wakeup calls. Which is indeed making me wonder if a viable design provision is a second live USB port on board, and the case molded with a "perfed or lanced" area that could be used to socket a short USB extension cable. Similar to what comes with higher end thumbdrives. Ships as a checked  box item on your shopping cart for a cable that will snugly fit the designated area or areas pre-prepped for it.?