Topic: Outage?

That was strange. I woke up in the middle of the night to find my chumby was on it's clock.
Chumby.com was unreachable.
The whole system was gone.

The idea of a lifeline came to mind.
Does Chumby.com have a plan to create a Chumby lifeline for times when there are extended outages or problems?
It might be cool.
The same might be cool for the forums. Maybe just a Chumby lifleline forum so that people could get info on any problems on the main system. So people can find out if their connection issue is local or wide area.
Just a thought.
The chumby is back on line now.
Yaesumofo

A Chumby in hand is worth 20 in the Wherehouse.

Re: Outage?

http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?id=1766

Just trying to centralize this topic.

Re: Outage?

Here's my two-cents worth on what I would like to see come out of this:

For those of us who are using chumby as a clock radio replacement, we need both the clock and the radio to work dependably. For example, in my case, I have the alarm set to stream NPR, and I listen to the news for 30 minutes before I get up. I glance at the clock now and then to find out if it's time to get up yet, and later while I'm getting ready for work. (I know, I know, I can set another alarm to tell me when it's really time to get up, but I want to look at a clock, dang it.)

The clock is represented by a variety of widgets, which currently fail if chumby.com goes down. I haven't yet taken the time to see what goes into making a widget, but perhaps there could be one specialized alarm clock widget developed by the chumby team that's smart enough to know the last good time reading and take it from there. I'm enough of a programmer to know that if something is important enough, workarounds can be found. For the future of the product, I think this is important enough.

I haven't given up on chumby yet. I think it's a cool idea, and there's obviously a lot of good work that has gone into it. Probably most of the current owners will be similarly forgiving, because we're mostly early adopters who are accustomed to rocky starts. However I won't be talking it up to my friends until I'm convinced it's gotten over this little bump.