Topic: Chumby and WEP, should i not try doing that?

Okay so post FOO i wanna start hacking but the first step is wifi connectivity - can i not use WEP - i tried every combination in the setup and i get "chumby.com" unreachable. I even created a second wep key in caps for the chumby see if that would work. Alas no, if worst comes to worse i'll set up another Wireless router thats open but that seems silly.

Any pointers from anyone out there?

Surj.

Re: Chumby and WEP, should i not try doing that?

Your problem may not be WEP, but rather 802.11g.  I use WEP all the time on my device.

Please see this post in the Service/Warranty forum.

We're chasing down an issue with certain 802.11g access points. bunnie and Ken are all over that right now.

had a look around and it seems using a Belkin router in any setting is a problem , especially as you can't set it to B only mode

I'm dissapointed i can't get going with it but happy to see there is a common thread so should be some sort of resolution soon (i hope)

any news on this issue, been looking but dont see anything immediately !

ikisai wrote:

any news on this issue, been looking but dont see anything immediately !

We're still working on it - the driver sees the G network, allows us to configure for it, then suddenly drops into B for no apparent reason.  No explanation yet.  We're going to see if we can reproduce it on an x86 platform see to if it's some sort of architecture issue.

if you use a belkin router, you should be shot. they are utter shite. get yoself a netgear. best router ive ever bought. i had two linksys ones, pile of shit they were. first one had awful wi-fi troubles, second one, it fell of the shelf and the front fell off and voided the warranty.

i had a belkin once, and it was rubbish.awful NAT problems

need upload space for the forums or a chumby blog? right here then
http://www.nophus.com/useru
username is chumby
password is chumby

Well, obviously we're not in a position to tell customers to get new routers, especially if our device is the only one exhibiting problems.

If anything, it's good *some* router is reliably showing the problem so we can fix it.  We're actually running a B rates on all routers - that's not supposed to be happening.

will there be full 802.11g and wpa support when chumby launches? cos i run WPA, cos i feel its a bit more secure than WEP. and g is faster than b.

username is chumby
password is chumby

It already supports WEP, WPA-PSK and WPA2-PSK - and those have been tested to work.

We have every intention of supporting 802.11g - and this current release was supposed to.  Once we fix the driver, we'll put out an update.

is the fault that G doesnt work at all, or cos its a specific router? cos if you ship me a chumby, ill test in a variety of situations. im at college now, and they got a bunch of wireless routers, and i know about 5 or 6 people with routers. i could go chumby-driving around the local mall, cos theres a few wireless access points around in there. itd have to be done in 1hour slots, but it could be done pretty fast.

username is chumby
password is chumby

Chumby driving would be hard... it supposedly runs on AC and has a 9v battery to just keep critical stuff going which I would assume ain't WiFi.  In your car with a power inverter it would be OK.. but at the mall... eh...  that's alot of equipment to carry.

I'm sure the devs have a firm grasp on it by now... and probably have a variety of access points for testing (if they didn't... they do now.)

It would certainly be possible. chumby requires a 12V DC supply @ 1A. You could effectively hack something together with just a 12V, 1A regulator attached to your car cigarette lighter and avoid the whole inverter-to-wallwart connection. But, do so at your own risk wink

Joe

yeah, but i heard it was a 1 hour battery, so i reckon i could go chumby driving and get all the access points within an hour. or i could just nip in the apple store and hijack one of their power points big_smile

username is chumby
password is chumby

You wouldn't be able to run off of the internal 9V backup battery, which is just for backup purposes and will keep the chumby "alive" in case of a power failure (e.g., turn the screen off and reduce power consumption to a minimum, but still wake you up via your alarm in the morning).

But, if you hacked the power input like I describe above and input into the power connector on the rear daughterboard (where you would normally plug in the AC wallwart), the chumby would run indefinintely from automobile power.

Joe

if you send me a chumby, ill whip up a car adaptor. tongue i could run it off my dads car battery with two cigarrete sockets. but i would look a bit of a gimp walking around with a chumby wired to a backpack.

username is chumby
password is chumby

Im gonna make an Eco-frendly Chumby "Solar Powered" ill wear a 3/3 foot peice of solar sheet on my head and hope its not gonna rain/cloudy out side wink

(sorry) Man I love all this hype over a clock. OMG i really cant wait till day 1 release. Thinking of getting 2? (sorry)

Any progress to report on getting Chumby to talk 802.11g ?   All my other stuff at home talks G, and I'm reluctant to try changing it all...

I think there's a *lot* of potential for this product - just wish I could network it.