Topic: Firmware update question

Apologies if this is a stupid question, but I just want to be sure.

Will the forthcoming firmware update happen in the same way as the Control Panel Beta updates, ie we need to reboot the Chumby for it to take effect? Or will it just happen?

I'm just wondering if there's a danger that if it just happens and wipes out alarms etc, it could happen at a time when those of us in other timezones are asleep. Is that a danger? If so, no problem, I just need to remember to set another alarm.

Re: Firmware update question

You'll get a screen that tells you that an update is available, and two buttons "now" and "later".  If you hit "later", it will go back to widget playback, and notify you again in an hour.  If you want the notification to return sooner, you can reboot your chumby and it will notify you again in a couple of minutes.  If you hit "now", then the update will happen immediately.

You cannot tell the notification to go away forever - updates are mandatory at the moment, but that may change in the future.

If the notification screen comes up in the middle of the night, the alarms should still work.

Excellent, thanks Duane...

Duane,
Refering to your post on backing up the files...Iam in ssh but how do I copy it to a flash drive?
Thanks

muks

I just figured this out myself. I am not much of a linux junkie so it took a little bit. Here are the steps I went through.

1. Plug in a blank USB flash drive into port A on the back of the Chumby
2. SSH into the chumby
3. In the SSH prompt type "cp /psp/alarms /mnt/usb"
4. In the SSH prompt type "cp /psp/url_streams /mnt/usb"
5. In the SSH prompt type "cd /mnt/usb" then "ls" to display the contents of the USB drive to confirm.

It will look like this...

chumby:~# cp /psp/alarms /mnt/usb
chumby:~# cp /psp/url_streams /mnt/usb
chumby:~# cd /mnt/usb
chumby:/mnt/usb# ls
alarms         url_streams
chumby:/mnt/usb#

-HuckFinn

Thanks!!!

Duane,

I have another question regarding the upcoming firmware update. Is there a way to install this off of a USB flash drive instead of over the air? I have one of my Chumbies at work and the wireless network I am connecting to is not very reliable. I have no clue how this update takes place, but I would assume that the network going down in the middle of the update would not be a good thing. I am sure you guys test for this scenario, but if I could download it to a flash drive and then install off of that instead that eliminates the problem.

Thanks

-HuckFinn

Yes, there will be an option to download the update to a USB dongle and install from there.

The firmware update is done? The message popped up on my chumby. I did the update...can't wait to check it out !

Terrific... the firmware update fixed that popping noise on many of the streams... thanks!
- Rich

Dallas TX
Chumby1 Birthday 11/1/07