Topic: 2.6.68?

I'm probably doing something stupid, but after several reboots I'm still only seeing 2.6.67 in the top corner of the main CP screen. Do I need to do anything specific to get it to pick up 2.6.68?

Re: 2.6.68?

I am in the same boat.  Reboot via Chumby software, and button and pulling the plug.  Still on 2.6.67.

Even restored to factory default settings and still on .67

Tried going from default to Beta dash, nothing seems to work.

Probably an upload issue, but nothing to worry about.  That's what happens when you do this in the middle of the night smile

2.6.67 and 2.6.68 are nearly identical - the only difference is that the "touchclick" button in the Settings->Volume screen doesn't flicker in 2.6.68.

It won't matter in a couple of days anyway.

thnx

It wont matter in a couple days? I smell foreshadowing.

there MUST BE SOMTHING GOOD ABOUT '68.
WHEN i ADJUST THE VOLUME IN '67 my chumby freezes. this is a new behavior.
I know this is a beta so I wonder why '68 is there in spirit but not in reality. you mention a flicker in the volume control in '67. I suppose I see that but more often than not when I go to that window and adjust the volume the chumby just stops. I wait for a moment for the buffer to clear to see if it unfreezes and I do not have any luck.
The weird thing about this is the audio sometimes continues to play.
Anyway I see the hints that there is a new firmware cumming up. out of curiosity will the control panel be embedded with the firmware? Or will it still have to be downloaded from the chumby servers?
IN the old days of the MAC the entire OS was in the firmware of the computers.

The chumby is clearly more powerful than those early Mac's.

Is this firmware update mostly fixes or does it contain more features?

You mention ironwood(I think) is this a hardware version?
Will the chumbies Hardware configuration be changing?
I know that it was mentioned that these Chumbies which we have are "final" hardware. Does this still hold true?
If there have been changes to the release version of the hardware what are they?

I know that more memory and higher speed CPu's are always welcome by end users. The chumby has some pretty powerful hardware. That said IMHO having headroom is always a good thing. Nobody wants to force their hardware to run at full throttle all the time. depending on the applications do you think it is possible to do that with the current Chumby hardware?
Thanks
Yaesumofo

Duane wrote:

Probably an upload issue, but nothing to worry about.  That's what happens when you do this in the middle of the night :)

2.6.67 and 2.6.68 are nearly identical - the only difference is that the "touch click" button in the Settings->Volume screen doesn't flicker in 2.6.68.

It won't matter in a couple of days anyway.

A Chumby in hand is worth 20 in the Wherehouse.

I suspect the problems you're seeing are actually due to firmware, not the Control Panel.  As I mentioned in another thread, there's a new firmware release in QA that addresses the bulk of the freezing/lockup issues.

There have been three basic versions of the chumby released into the wild, with the codenames Foo, Katamari, and Ironforge.

Foo and Katamari were alpha prototypes, Ironforge is the production unit you have.

There were about 250 Foo chumbys, mostly handed out at Tim O'Reilly's Foo Camp in August of 2006.  There was a slight hardware modification (the addition of the accelerometer) for the Katamari chumby - there were about 500 of those built, again handed out to developers and partners.  Foos and Katamaris look identical - they have a cloth enclosure, are slightly larger than the production model, and the screen always falls out.  They have a 200 MHz ARM9, only one USB port, only 32MB RAM and don't have the microphone.  Neither Foo nor Katamaris were ever for sale.

The model you have is an Ironforge, which in in the leather enclosure with two USB ports and the 350MHz processor, 64MB RAM, and has the microphone.

In the Control Panel, select "Settings", then "Chumby Info" - you should see a hardware version of 3.7

Foo is 1, Katamari is 2, Ironforge is 3.  We're on the 7th revision of the hardware for Ironforge - the previous 6 versions did not ship to customers, but were development versions in engineering.

There will undoubtedly be more minor revisions of this model - typically part substitutions for cost or availability, and perhaps some board layout changes to increase yield and ease of manufacture.  This happens with any such device, so it's possible if you buy another chumby in a few months, it might be slightly different, and have a different hardware version number, say, 3.8.  The vast majority of such changes are unlikely to be visible to the casual user - you'd probably have to open up the device and compare the circuit boards and part numbers side-by-side.

At this point in time, there are no new models in the production pipeline, but obviously we reserve the right to evolve the product as needed to address the market - just like every other company that makes products.