Topic: Add custom stations from web?

Hi, I have been using the beta control panel for a while, and have come to love it. I love all the new features, and I love that we can so easily opt in and out of using it. I especially love the improvements that have been made under the "Music" section. All of it is great.

However, I dread having to add streams to the "My Streams" list by entering the full URL of the stream on the Chumby. Some stream URLs are prohibitively long (and the Chumby won't let me scroll the text window down to see what you have typed, leaving one with no way of catching errors). For example, the Wild Sanctuary stream's URL is (with the H removed, so that the forum won't recognize it as a URL and shorten it):

ttp://www.live365.com/play/335863?auth=3aaee0207f1aca247d568433d66a8a6c-1199603826-wildsanctuary&tag=live365&token=172e2b92c662f001d3b91d8e78565d21-1723050080100000&sid=76.22.39.194-119948078449&lid=819-usa&from=pls

It would be much easier if one could edit the "My Streams" section from the Chumby website.

Re: Add custom stations from web?

At the moment, the "My Streams" data is stored on the chumby device itself, not on our servers.

I'll talk to product Management about it, but we'd have to create some new tables and corresponding web pages to enable this, then add the web protocol, then finally add the support to the Control Panel - basically, that change would require a change end-to-end, so it's not something that would happen instantly.

Is it possible to add live 365 like shoutcast as one of the menu items?

muks wrote:

Is it possible to add live 365 like shoutcast as one of the menu items?

That requires a business deal with Live365 - I think the Business Development group has talked to them, but I don't know any specifics.

We have a couple of other music deals in the pipeline which should show up over time.

You could always use a site like tinyurl.com to shorten the web address to something more easily entered into chumby.  For example the Wild Sanctuary site would be shortened to: ttp://tinyurl.com/2klvct (I omitted the 'h' in http).

Although I'm not sure how it would work on sites you need to have credentials to run (ie logged in).  But it's still worth a shot!

Thanks Duane for the reply. Tchesney, I tried the tinyurl link, but for some reason my Chumby did not like it (it became unresponsive for a second after trying to play the stream, then it just said that playback had stopped).

I think you can shorten the URL to the Wild Sanctuary stream to http://www.live365.com/play/335863. Sounds pretty much the same to me smile

For other URLS: As a workaround you can edit the file containing the stream-urls strait on the chumby, which isn't very comfortable, but at least you can cut&paste the URLs in.

darundal wrote:

It would be much easier if one could edit the "My Streams" section from the Chumby website.

I couldn't agree more. Ideally, I could do this from my Virtual Chumby.

Plus I wish there was a "pushpin" next to the other audio sources to automagically add a playlist/audio source to my My Streams favorites.

Keep up the good work! Eagerly awaiting the new firmware to address remaining alarm issues.

:-)

Chumby Fan in AZ

Christian, do you know what file on the Chumby contains the my streams info? I have looked around the wiki, and can't find anything (well, anything related to what I am looking for).

It's the file "/psp/url_streams".

11 (edited by darundal 2008-03-25 19:36:03)

Thanks Christian. Oh, and for anyone not familiar with VI (the text editor which is installed on the Chumby) you would hit "a" to start editing (actually, appends in front of cursor, but same thing for this), "esc" to stop editing, and "ZZ" to save and quit.