Topic: Streaming Radio - Artist/Song info?

So I've wanted one of these things since August but financially, there have been other priorities.  Then the fiance managed to sneak one under the tree.  Serious girlfriend points for that...

Anyway.  As far as I'm concerned, Internet Radio alone makes this little sucker worth the cost of admission.  It's kind of like a Slim Devices Squeezebox without the suck.  Got me a Beta control panel, built me up seven or eight stations under My Streams, and boy howdy that was cool!

One advantage iTunes or Winamp or a Squeezebox has over the Chumby is that the other three give you track info (an advantage the Chumby has, of course, is that it doesn't require a computer... advantage Chumby).  However, it would be nice if, instead of saying "Current: My Streams" followed by the station name, it instead said "Artist: Song" or even flipped between "Current: My Streams / Artist: Song."  'cuz I'm likely to have a pretty good idea what stream I set the Chumby to... but as it is now, if I wanna know what *song* I'm listening to I have to fire up the laptop.

What would be even better, of course, would be the option to scroll that information over the bottom of whatever channel the Chumby is set to like a Chyron crawl.  I have no idea how tricky that would be, though as I don't code Flash (yet) and I'm a consummate hacker when it comes to Linux.

Alternatively, would it be possible to create a "Now Playing" widget that I could throw into my channels?  Something that uses the "album cover" if it has one (like SomaFM does) for the background and the "now playing" information from the stream on top of it?  Again, I don't code Flash (but this little gadget has inspired me to learn).

As an off-topic aside, has any thought been given to using the tilt sensor to scroll up and down lists?  Set it slow and insensitive and let it reset once it's level again?  It's pretty intuitive for me to want to see what's on the bottom of a list by leaving the Chumby on the coffee table but pushing its top so that it leans back... There's so many bells'n'whistles on the little gadget that it's a shame they aren't used for a more organic way of interfacing with the content.  'cuz really - that's something *nothing* else has.  Accentuate the positive, right?

Slave to the Light, Inc.
Los Angeles & Seattle USA
www.slavetothelight.com

Re: Streaming Radio - Artist/Song info?

I completely second the request for an integrated playlist function.  Now that the chumby isn't choking on m3u's this is a distinct possibility, right?

I third the request

same here PLease!!
Yaesumofo

A Chumby in hand is worth 20 in the Wherehouse.

Nah, don't do it.  Just Kidding!  It would be fab!  Please?

Keep cool, but care!
AsB4,
Henry Mu
http://www.urdomain.us/kcuf.htm

I just uploaded a public widget i made for Tspigot Radio to display current playing track info, queued track list and scheduled shows..  Sadly, i don't think my code can be reused easily, as i'm not getting that data from the stream itself, but from some rss feeds populated from a backend mysql server that drives the Tspigot Radio stream.  Anyways, check it out (whenever it reaches the public sphere).. hopefully someone can be inspired to create a universal "now playing" widget to use on all streams.

I'm no developer, but it was easy to modify a preexisting Google Gadget to to play and dsiplay the currently playing info from the stream of my Shoutcast Radio streaming music station, KCUF, which plays great from the Chumby Shoutcast music source for KCUF, and from the "My Streams" source, http://208.53.158.48:8196/listen.pls     But... I want to see what's playing!  It works in Google Gadget and iTunes, so it shouldn't be difficult to develop either a "universal," general purpose "Now Playing" widget, or at leat one that's easily customized for any one particular station.

Keep cool, but care!
AsB4,
Henry Mu
http://www.urdomain.us/kcuf.htm