Topic: Woody?

How many people would love to see a woody version of a Chumby. I know i would. The hardest part would be the hardware thats in the base of the Chumby would have to be gutted (like a squid?). But with the right about of glue and lamination. It could be done. All hail the Woody.

(sorry) Man I love all this hype over a clock. OMG i really cant wait till day 1 release. Thinking of getting 2? (sorry)

Re: Woody?

It would actually be really easy. I have a plan to do something like this myself. From what I understand from the pictures/specs I've seen, the hardware is all in the front, between a bezel and a rubber surround, then the chumbilical goes through to the back. So cut a hole in the box,  stick in the chumby screen, cut a hole in the back for the USB port part and then just connect the chumbilical. Put box back together. Glue and glitter and paint (if that's your thing). The only tricky part is the bend sensor. Chumby is squeezable. Now, I've figured out an interesting solution to that but you will have to wait until I get a chumby to see my design...I'll put design instructions and pics on a website  one day. A girl's gotta have some secrets...

3 (edited by chumby.wanna.be 2006-09-10 08:10:39)

Its true, and also logical. Why give away secrets when some one could steal all of them b4 you even get your hands on yours. O before i forget i drew up 3d models of mine and yes it includes squeezy parts wink. And Angela were you planning on doing the front also, bc ik i was. Good Luck to you and keep the ideas flowing.

(sorry) Man I love all this hype over a clock. OMG i really cant wait till day 1 release. Thinking of getting 2? (sorry)

Yes...don't forget speaker holes too...love to see the design when you are ready to share...

I don't use CAD unfortunately...if I could somehow make a .jpg of the design in my brain I'd upload it...until I have a chumby that will have to wait though...

I think once you get your Chumby u can use its chumbilcal to transfer your data straight from your head to a image on chumby or even to your pc.

There is also a rumour that chumby will replace the tricorder at home (about time, if you ask me). Did you know that if you network enough chumbys together you can also have yourself a fully functional vinculum? Shame it doesn't have sound input because then we could stop wearing our damn combadges on our pjs...

vinculum? like a chain? Id love to have a chumby pillow (turn off alarm by punching it!) wink

I would love a wooden chumby, is has to be real wood though, not that 'fake' adhesive wood that they make. Maybe bamboo would be nice, bamboo is considered a 'weed' because it grows back so rapidly. I think It would make the chumby look nice and it would not be cutting down trees that we need in a sense.

mmm....chumby...

chandler wrote:

I would love a wooden chumby, is has to be real wood though, not that 'fake' adhesive wood that they make. Maybe bamboo would be nice, bamboo is considered a 'weed' because it grows back so rapidly. I think It would make the chumby look nice and it would not be cutting down trees that we need in a sense.

A real wood one would be cool.  Until then I'm gonna find some of that 'fake' adhesive wood that they make and see what I can do with it.  wink

Hmmm... I had considered using www.ponoko.com to make a case, but all my attempts at design make the woody chumby all boxlike -- not as organic looking as I'd like.

How about http://www.emachineshop.com/ ?

I know they don't deal with wood themselves but perhaps you can create the edges and frames (rounded, beveled, acrylic, etc) and then come back through and fill in the panels with the wood of your choice.

-John Forsythe
www.jforsythe.com

I'd like to see a steam punk chumby.  You crafty folks probably read a lot of make magazine, boingboing, gizmodo..etc.  Just pitching an idea... big_smile

*looks over at CNC machine*  I'm wana build a woody now..., are there any CAD artists out there (not really one myself)?  If someone wants to supply some drawings I could attempt to make a prototype "woody".  Im not really an expert at using this machine (its not exactly done, but it works) but I cant think of a better time to learn!  If we can get some drawings and a completed Woody (with photos) we might be able to get some plans up here for people to build (with personalizations of course).
-Gigman

Gigman wrote:

*looks over at CNC machine*  I'm wana build a woody now..., are there any CAD artists out there (not really one myself)?  If someone wants to supply some drawings I could attempt to make a prototype "woody".  Im not really an expert at using this machine (its not exactly done, but it works) but I cant think of a better time to learn!  If we can get some drawings and a completed Woody (with photos) we might be able to get some plans up here for people to build (with personalizations of course).
-Gigman

Disclaimer: I am not a CNC guy but I have built plenty of models for architecture (by hand, laser cutters & 3d printers) as well as working with fiberglass for boats/surfboards.  Though I no longer have direct access to the laser cutter or 3d printer I do know cad and modeling and would be happy to do some cad drawings and/or 3d models to get this going.  Just let me know how I could help and what we need to get started.  smile

Cheers...

Wooden and French polished would be absolutely amazing.

*French polishes all of his furniture*

The squeeze feature might be difficult to implement though and it might lose it's 'cuteness' to some people, but it would appeal to another market, and you can keep the other models too.

That would pwn so hard.

Music Tames The Savage Beast

As does PHP and Perl.