Topic: sound question??

Guys I would like to know if the audio you are able to hear when listening to shoutcast or radio free chumby is choppy and or distorted?
Mine is and nothing I do changes it. The audio when playing music from the ipod is clean and nice.
My other question is this.
When listening to Ipod music does the Chumby do the D to A conversion or is it pulling an analog feed from the Ipod?

I am a sound man who records audio in the field for a living. I love good sound.
So far I wouldn't exactly say that I am impressed with the quality of audio which comes from the Chumby.
OK OK I know what you are thinking. Believe me I don't have really high expectations of the Chumby's audio section.
That said I know it is not that expensive to implement a good audio section in a unit of this nature.  ( A burr brown amp  costs under $5.00) So a high quality audio hack is not out of the question.
Before trying anything like that (actually I would get somebody else to do it) I would want to make sure that the audio coming from the audio circuit in the Chumby is going to be OK from the start.

When I started this post I had KQED on the Chumby. It was playing for a while with occasional choppiness then it would pause for a while now it has stopped completely. Are any of you experiencing similar performance? Believe me I understand that we are dealing with Beta software here I just want to make sure I am under the bell so to speak.....Thanks
Yaesumofo

A Chumby in hand is worth 20 in the Wherehouse.

Re: sound question??

sounds to me like you have a spotty WiFi connection. My chumby sometimes has trouble connecting and will sound like that, but when the WiFi is working properly, the streams are clean and sound very good.

The wifi connection is pretty strong. I have had pretty much the same results even with the Chumby 10 foot away from the wireless router.
I use a Sony PSP as a shoutcast receiver from alm ost the exact same location with no choppyness.
I sort of think that this may be an issue with my unit. I would rather deal with fixing the issue now rather than waiting for the mass drop of chumbys onto the rest of the world.
I will wait for the next version of the firm/software to see if my unit is OK or not.
Yaesumofo

dhl wrote:

sounds to me like you have a spotty WiFi connection. My chumby sometimes has trouble connecting and will sound like that, but when the WiFi is working properly, the streams are clean and sound very good.

One of the things I don't get is I have a stream going it sounds good and it runs for like 5 to 10 minutes and then it cuts out. Just stopps.
I have to restart the stream to get it going again.
To be frank.
This will not do. This must be some sort of BUG or somthing.
Yaesumofo