Topic: *Where* is your chumby?

I'm curious about where your chumbys are.

Do you have your chumby at home, or at work/school?

If in the home, where is it?  Bedroom? Family room? Kitchen? Bathroom? Somewhere else?

Did it start there, or was it somewhere else at first? If you moved it, why?

Do you find yourself moving the chumby frequently?  If so, do you change what it does based on location or time?

Do you find yourself tempted to get more than one to put in different places?

Re: *Where* is your chumby?

Mine(ours) is supposed to be in the office, but i took it home with me for the x-mas break.

Now it sits on my desk at home, as i'm trying to hack it (cross-compiling libxml2 is a bi*ch), and get a useable version of PHP on it.

Colonel Mustard, in the bedroom, with a Chumby.

Rarely move it.

Home == office.  Chumby is in the kitchen, aka main living area.  It's usually displaying a plot from my weather station, with override when important email comes in.  It also runs esd to provide audio notification of important events.

Several on my desk in pieces, and one beside my bed to get me up and to work in the morning  :-)

Bedroom, next to bed.....Alarm Clock Replacement.

--
MC

Currently "Zazz" (short for Zazz Blammymatazz") is here at work.

Bedroom, super alarm clock.

Stays with me, whether next to my LaZBoy, or with my radios in the "ham shack."

- Rich

Dallas TX
Chumby1 Birthday 11/1/07

sitting in the kitchen (open house floorplan, so it's generally visible from living room and kitch). gets moved to my office when "playing", but then the family requests that i return it to the kitch.

11 (edited by Chris D 2007-12-22 14:20:52)

Lumpy moves between the bedroom (where it's the ultimate alarm clock) and my desk. Here it's on the desk, showing a picture from my Flickr stream, next to the new XO Laptop:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2403/2129769196_82713db732_m.jpg

You can see a couple of more pictures of my Chumby and the XO laptop here.

"Nacho" is sitting on my computer desk except for when he gets plugged in to the home stereo system for Internet Radio duty.

King Nacho

T.C.A.R.

Bedroom nightstand- alarm clock to end all alarm clocks

Bedroom as an alarm clock - radio replacement.

Kitchen.....since the family spends a lot of time there -- plays Christmas music while we check on the latest news!

Bedroom.  Was at work for a while, but I couldn't really take advantage of the new music features at work, so I took it home.  The awkward thing is that I don't really go to my bedroom except to sleep, so I rarely use the chumby.

Want to see a cool project? check out my projects on Gadget Gangster

Mine's in my bedroom, eagerly awaiting the day when it can replace the passive electronics in the room, stero, alarm clocks, etc.

BedStand for AlarmClock Replacement, NEWS, and entertainment.....like watching some animé in the morning.  wink

Though now I want one for the office too.

I just got Sasquach today so am still configuring it, but it will most likely end up in the kitchen so I can stream radio, check weather, and browse news stories.

Mine, named "Chumby" (that's what you might get if you let your five-year-old name it) sits mostly on my nightstand.  Fancy alarm clock, that I too, rarely use - since I go there mainly to sleep.

Why there?  I've got a flaky wireless network that Chumby doesn't like much (no streaming music for me).

Ah - ChrisD has an XO and a Chumby too!  I just got the XO for my daughter - I'm no Linux geek, but am hoping to learn more with these two 'toys' - and see what they can do together....

Other future plans - I'd like to see it as the 'head' of a Lego NXT robot - but that's something I don't have a lot of time to work on right now....

Squishy is on my night stand in the bedroom. I had some trouble with my wireless connection so I had it in the computer room next to the router for awhile, but I ended up with a new router which fixed my problem so it's back in the bedroom.

John

My "cutiepie" (that's what you get if you let your wife name it) is in the bathroom, sitting on top of a wall-mounted cabinet.  So far it's just showing a clock, the weather forecast, and webcams of traffic near where we work.

So far, the WAF (wife acceptance factor) is very high; the 'Night' mode scored big points with her.

Is is just my imagination, or do the speakers on the little guy really suck?

=M.

"Grimace" is on my side table. I am going to get another one for the bathroom at launch. I fall asleep listening to internet radio every night. A sleep timer would be nice, but not totally necessary since it never plays the entire night without some kind of buffer error.

+1 for the sleep timer!

The best I've done for a sleep timer while listening to a stream, is to set a second alarm for 30 or 40 minutes into the future to play the same stream, and have it shut off in 5 minutes. Talk about a lot of tapping!

At home in my bedroom, on a chair by my bed.  When it is a reliable enough alarm clock I'll put it on my window shelf by my bed and officially decommission my 18 year old alarm clock.

Sometimes I bring it to work if I feel like working on a program on it.  I rarely bring it to work now since I've been busy.

I was tempted to get one at work, till I realized how it doesn't have anything to offer over my desktop.  My desktop is faster, quicker getting to the information I want, better speakers and doesn't have advertising.  I'd use my desktop as an alarm clock if it wasn't so power hungry.  The small size is the only thing it has going in its advantage.

Although putting some throughout my house would be handy to listen to wifi or a kitchen timer, but there are much cheaper alternatives like an egg timer, or wireless speakers.   For me, I've yet to see a killer app yet that warrants more than one.