Topic: Plushie...?

I have just registered to recieve a prototype of Chumby, and my idea was to mount theChumby into a large stuffed animal, like those ones you win at carnivals and stuff... I'm alright with crafting, and sewing isn't an issue, but how hard do you think it'll be...? And do you think the chumby will be fully functional if it's in such a large animal? this project all depends if I get a chumby or not....

Re: Plushie...?

i was thinking something like that. but something big enough to fit on a bedside table. something furry.

need upload space for the forums or a chumby blog? right here then
http://www.nophus.com/useru
username is chumby
password is chumby

There have been several chumbys embedded into stuffed animals.

So far, I've seen an Eeyore, a teddy bear, a tribble, a Hello Kitty pillow, and a couple of Teletubbies.

It's quite easy to hack your chumby into a plush toy. That was actually one of our design intents when designing the core electronics to be removeable and the housing to be malleable. I'll post some pictures up shortly in the Craft forum of some of our plush hacks. You can get by with a screwdriver, seam ripper, and some hot glue!

Joe

I don't see why you couldn't embed it into the wall...just remember the stuff at the back of the chumby...+ speakers and stuff need to have holes made for them too...it's not just a screen. Bend sensors would need to protrude somehow so you can manipulate them...I'd like to see it if someone does a neat and tidy job of it.

It's odd but what I like about chumby is the softness and tactility...just an observation, not a criticism...but why do quite a few people want to pop it into a hard casing? I'm excited particularly because it is in a soft casing....just curious....

Angela wrote:

It's odd but what I like about chumby is the softness and tactility...just an observation, not a criticism...but why do quite a few people want to pop it into a hard casing? I'm excited particularly because it is in a soft casing....just curious....

I think its because like myself, I am thinking about it as a device (for now) that will sit where my clock radio is now.. and I wouldn't necessarily want to carry it around.. I dunno, just my thoughts on why that may be. :-)  I like the plush idea too though..

Yuck, I want it small, even the brown plush is a bit bigger than what I intend.

~Ryan~

So what do you intend Warpling? Please share...

Another thought...if you put chumby in a hard case how do you intend to manipulate the existing bend sensors and other possible sensors they (we) may add further down the track?

^^

dont put it in a hard case.

need upload space for the forums or a chumby blog? right here then
http://www.nophus.com/useru
username is chumby
password is chumby

Angela wrote:

Another thought...if you put chumby in a hard case how do you intend to manipulate the existing bend sensors and other possible sensors they (we) may add further down the track?

Actually the idea I had is a vinyl toy and the toy is relatively soft vinyl, still could be a possibility but even if not, there are always ways around that!  Who says sensors have to be under something soft?  Depends on how the sensors are to be used.. could just create buttons, kind of, or you can create soft sections on the toy where the sensors are.. just gotta be creative! smile

I think chedabob is on to something, I don't think you should put it into the "plastic" shell it is in. Just all pilliow-like material.

mmm....chumby...

Duane wrote:

There have been several chumbys embedded into stuffed animals.

So far, I've seen an Eeyore, a teddy bear, a tribble, a Hello Kitty pillow, and a couple of Teletubbies.

Teletubbies work because they practically have a big square in the stomach anyway. big_smile