Topic: chumby boots into blue screen that says "special options"

My chumby when it boots go to a blue screen that says "special options." That's it, after that it get to the white background blue chumby part, but never gets past that.
I tried holding down the touchscreen and booting, with 1.2 unzipped on the fat32 1 gig key, and held down the touchscreen and turned it on... same blue screen most of the time, about 1/4 of the time it says "please keep holding this down until it goes to special options" or something similiar. Anyhow, when it occassionaly says that, it then goes to the blue "special options" screen I referenced earlier. After that, orange circles appear in the background, and I notice on the usbkey, it's led flashes twice as if it's being accessed, right as the orange circles appear.

Re: chumby boots into blue screen that says "special options"

Oops, accidentally hit return.

Anyway, that was basically the end, since support is closed until monday for the holiday, can *anyone* out there help me? I was so excited about my 4 day weekend with my new chumby, and I didn't even get to ssh to it yet and it's gone into whatever this mode is.

Help me chumby forums, you're my only hope!

Thanks a lot,

Nick

Ok, so I tried to use a usbkey, fat32, 1 gig, unzipped 1.2 to it, put in in usb slot 1, held down my finger on the touchscreen, and turned it on... it acts basically like when it boots up, ends up stuck in the 'special actions' screeten before the special actions 3 choice menu... though today, when i woke from a nap with the chumby left on in hope, it was at the screen where it finds the mac address and asked me 'use a current connection' or 'start a new connection' I picked use current connection, and then it continued to the next screen, then said "looking for wireless network" (I tried turning my WRT54G [normal linksys firmware, haven't gotten around to dd-wrt yet] to 11b only, but it doesn't seem to make a difference)

update:
as I was writing this, the chumby finally made it to the 3 choice "special options" menu, and I pressed "return to normal operation" and I could see the chumby rebooted, and I was so excited, and it came up and did the tour normally, and when i hit "show tour at next startup" it has frozen on that 3 choice menu, the tour menu. Oh I was so excited! I thought I was back to normal operation! Well, my thoughts are that since during normal operation, rebooting should not cause it to break, I am going to power off and power on. fingers crossed. UGH. turn it off, then back on, and it boots as far as white background blue chumby screen.... I am very close to firing up wireshark (ethereal's new name) so I can see what the chumby is doing network wise.

Still to everyone I say: Help me Chumby Forums, you're my only hope! (support off until Monday!)

Thanks,

Nick

This sounds like you aren't getting a strong Wifi signal. See if moving the Chumby closer to your wireless access point helps. If it does, then you need to track down the source of interference between the Chumby and your WAP.

It is all of maybe 6 ft TOPS from my wrt54g. I would think it would be fine, considering I can get on with my laptop and my z50 up the street...

Anyhow, thanks a lot for the help though. I will move it right next to the wrt54g and see what happens.

Doesn't seem to make a difference. More to come in my heck weekend of watching the chumby try and limp back to life..

Nick

npt, since your chumby did boot into 'special options' with the 3 options before.  Go ahead and try and boot into 'special options' again.  If you do get the 3 options, please update via usb to 1.2.  Let us know what happens.